[robocup-worldwide] [Remind] RoboCup Design Award (Deadline extended)

i.noda at aist.go.jp i.noda at aist.go.jp
Wed Jun 8 23:52:35 EDT 2016

Dear RoboCuppers,

We extend the submission deadline of the DesignAward.

The new deadline is June 17th, 2016.

Itsuki Noda, the President of RoboCup

			RoboCup Design Award

[Purpose]
RoboCup holds up the ultimate goal:

   By the middle of the 21st century, a team of fully autonomous
   humanoid robot soccer players shall win a soccer game, complying
   with the official rules of FIFA, against the winner of the most
   recent World Cup

This goal includes the mission to foster science and technologies for
evolving industries and for advancing societies. 2050 is not too far
in the future. In order to reinforce relations between robots and the
public, we need to think again about the power of “design”.

"Robot" is not just a single technology, but a combination of systems
and services that can enhance human activities that extend across the
cyber and physical worlds. Also, “Robot” is not just useful, but
also a continuous occupation to provide creative functionality to the
public. Nowadays, robots and robotics have become familiar and are
considered to work closer with people in their daily lives. Therefore,
robots must be well-designed and taken into consideration their
interactions with people, their use in various societies/environments,
and their sustainable operations.

Based on these observations, in the last year, Flower Robotics and the
RoboCup Federation introduced an award, called the “RoboCup Design
Award”, to encourage research and education to focus on the
importance of the design of robots. And, we decided to continue the
award for this year. As same as the last year, robots and/or
technologies will be awarded that are well-designed not only for their
performance but also for their simpleness, easiness, smoothness in
daily operation and other usages. We believe that the award will
promote the popularity of robotics in wider fields.

[Submission]

Any participating team from all leagues/challenges (in Major and
Junior) in RoboCup-2016 can apply for this award. An applicant should
send a brief description of the design points on the following items.

  * identity of the team in styles and appearances
  * simpleness in structure and total system
  * smooth interaction with humans/users
  * ease of maintenance in daily operation
  * wide usage
  * robustness and resilience duringhard use

The application document should be submitted by June 17th, 2016 (24:00
(Hawai TZ)), to the following site: