[robocup-worldwide] Open Invitation to 4th International RoboCup MSL Workshop

Robin Soetens robinsoetens at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:29:37 EDT 2014

4th International RoboCup MSL Workshop, Open Invitation

Rule changes limiting continuous dribbling distance, and introducing
mandatory passing have dramatically changed RoboCup MSL in the past couple
of years. These step-changes are happening at a time where several new
teams are starting up. Therefore MSL is a league in transition, which means
knowledge exchange among teams is extra important.

To facilitate this, multiple initiatives have been taken by the community.
A number of robot-designs are released under an open hardware license
<http://www.roboticopenplatform.org/wiki/Main_Page>, and a low-cost robot
platform has been developed <http://www.turtle5k.org/>. On top of this, a
three-day workshop gets organized yearly.

This year the workshop will take place in Eindhoven, on November 10th, 11th
and 12th. Building on earlier workshops in Stuttgart and last year
<http://carpenoctem.das-lab.net/mslworkshop3> at the University of Kassel,
the goal of the workshop is to share knowledge among existing and startup
teams, and to discuss future directions of the league.

The program contains a mini-symposium with presentations of different teams
(Monday), a social event for which we will visit the GLOW festival
<http://www.gloweindhoven.nl/website/glow/glow.php?gshow=order&eventId=23&Curr=1&action=home&lId=2>
(Monday evening), a hands-on part where participants work with software of
other teams (Tuesday) and a discussion on the roadmap and on rule changes
for the upcoming year (Wednesday).

Established MSL teams are invited, but we would also like to invite teams
starting up, people considering to participate in MSL in the future or
RoboCuppers who see possibilities to apply MSL technology to their own
league or vice versa. Although traditionally mainly the European teams are
participating, we would like to emphasize the workshop is also open for
teams from outside Europe.

The workshop will be organized by Robin Soetens, Lotte de Koning and René
van de Molengraft of Eindhoven University of Technology. In case you're
interested in participating, please contact robinsoetens - at - gmail.com