[robocup-worldwide] CORRECTED DATES: AAAI Fall Symposium on AI and HRI

Manuela Veloso mmv at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 12 23:44:54 EDT 2014

AAAI Fall Symposium:
AI for Human-Robot Interaction (AI-HRI)
Nov 13-15, 2014 -- Arlington, VA, U.S.A.

CORRECTION of SUBMISSION and OTHER DATES for our AAAI Fall SYMPOSIUM:

We are glad to inform you that we were able to revise the schedule of our
Important Dates, to try to best fit everyone's constraints, aiming at
making it the most flexible possible for submissions from all AI and HRI
researchers to this pioneering event!

Here is the schedule for your 2-page extended abstracts:

- YOUR Submission:
  At your earliest convenience and by July 16, 2014.

Submit your extended abstract via email as a pdf to
ai-hri-symposium-submissions at googlegroups.com.  The abstracts should be 2
pages in length, but it's OK for references to spill onto a 3rd page.

- OUR Revisions and Decisions:
  June 16, 2014 through August 15, 2014.

- OUR Notifications to YOU:
  At our earliest convenience and by August 15, 2014.

- YOUR final accepted submissions:
  At your earliest convenience and by September 10, 2014.

These camera ready versions of the extended abstracts will be collected
into a AAAI Technical Report for the symposium attendees.

- The symposium will be held on Nov 13-15, 2014 in Arlington, VA USA.

We look forward to your submissions!
Best,
       Manuela, on behalf of the Organizing Committee (see below)

Extended Description

AAAI Fall Symposium:
AI for Human-Robot Interaction (AI-HRI)
Nov 13-15, 2014 -- Arlington, VA, U.S.A.

http://ai-hri.github.io/

This symposium will bring together and strengthen the community of
researchers working on the AI challenges inherent to Human-Robot
Interaction (HRI). Humans and human environments bring with them inherent
uncertainty in dynamics, structure, and interaction. HRI aims to develop
robots that are intelligent, autonomous, and capable of interacting with,
modeling, and learning from humans. These goals are at the core of AI.

The field of HRI is a broad community encompassing robotics, AI, HCI,
psychology and social science.  In this meeting we aim to specifically
bring together the subset of this community that are focused on the AI
problems of HRI.  Currently this type of HRI work is seen across such a
variety of venues (HRI, RSS, ICRA, IROS, Ro-Man, RoboCup, and more), that
we lack a cohesive core community.  Building this community is the central
purpose of this symposium.

Planned activities:

- Keynote talks “How is HRI an AI problem?”: We will have keynotes giving
eight different perspectives about how AI research is going to bring us
closer to the reality of humans interacting with robots on everyday tasks.

- Breakout groups + panel discussions: these discussions will be focused
on (1) defining a road map of grand challenges for this research area, and
(2) what is the core venue for this community.

- Poster session: This session will highlight state-of-the-art work and
approaches to AI-HRI.

- Team building: Given the diverse set of venues that this type of
research is presented, it is very rare that members of the AI-HRI
community get together in the same room. As such, a large part of this
effort is to bring together a community of researchers, strengthen old
connections and build new ones. Ample time will be provided for networking
and informal discussions.

Confirmed speakers:

- Cynthia Breazeal
- Rodney Brooks
- Henrik Christensen
- Maja Mataric
- Manuela Veloso

- The symposium will be held Nov 13-15, 2014 in Arlington, VA.

Organizing committee:
- Andrea L. Thomaz, Georgia Institute of Technology  (chair)
- Kris Hauser, Indiana University
- Chad Jenkins, Brown University
- Maja J. Mataric, University of Southern California
- Manuela Veloso, Carnegie Mellon University