[robocup-worldwide] [JFR-SR3] Journal of Field Robotics (JFR) Special Issue on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR)

Alexander Kleiner alexander.kleiner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 06:02:34 EST 2014

Dear colleague,

the Journal of Field Robotics (JFR) invites you to submit a paper to the upcoming special issue on Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics. Please find the Call for Papers attached below.

Journal of Field Robotics
Special Issue on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR)
<http://www.journalfieldrobotics.org/Special_Issues.html>

Special Issue Guest Editors:
Alexander Kleiner,
Fredrik Heintz,
Satoshi Tadokoro

This special issue on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR) is dedicated to identifying and solving the key issues necessary to field capable, robust, and dependable robots in safety, security, and rescue missions. We welcome cutting-edge papers in the theory and practice of robots for all types of safety, security, and rescue applications such as disaster response, mitigation and recovery;; rapid and secure inspection of critical infrastructure;; detection of chemical, biological and radiological risks, and operations in these dangerous sites. The scope of this special issue on SSRR covers the overall design of unmanned ground, aerial, and marine robots, as well as crucial components, e.g., for advanced locomotion, and intelligent onboard functionalities up to robot team collaboration and full autonomy.

We explicitly welcome contributions from the following three areas: 1) robotic systems, i.e., complete marine, aerial, or ground robots as well as their components, 2) intelligent functionalities, e.g., mapping, robot team collaboration, advanced user interfaces, software components for autonomy, and 3) applications, e.g., field reports and end user studies. Related topics include but are not limited to:

- Biologically inspired solutions
- Computer vision
- GPS-denied navigation and mapping
- Humanoid robots
- Humanitarian demining
- Advanced Human-robot interaction, especially to improve remote situational awareness
- Sensing and perception to aid navigation and motion control, to detect and recognize hazards, and to detect victims
- Locomotion for ground, aerial, marine systems in unstructured environments
- Manipulation
- Multi-agent/Multi-robot team coordination and mixed human-robot teams
- SLAM in extreme environments, e.g., mapping of unstructured environments including 2D & 3D approaches, the integration of GIS, and the handling of dynamic and semantic information
- Methods for autonomous search, exploration, and surveillance
- Intelligent behaviors to improve robot performance, survivability, and usability, e.g., handling radio-drop-outs, driving assistance, and the detection of hazardous areas
- Scenario identification and specification, e.g. for application areas like urban search and rescue, explosive ordinance disposal, CBRN hazard detection/mitigation, or surveillance

Submissions must follow the spirit of the Journal of Field Robotics, i.e., they must describe implemented systems that have been tested under realistic conditions or even deployed in regular operations. Papers originating from the SSRR’12 and SSRR’13 symposia are particularly welcome. Papers need to be significantly extended, for example by new results, compared to what has already been published. Authors are encouraged to submit multimedia attachments, i.e., data sets, videos, etc.

Deadlines:
- May 31, 2014, 2014 – Submit manuscripts
- August 31, 2014 – Decisions and author notification
- October 31, 2014 – Final manuscripts for publication

Submission instructions can be found on the website of the Journal of Field Robotics at <http://www.journalfieldrobotics.org/>.

For comments, suggestions or requests, please send email to Alexander Kleiner (alexander.kleiner at liu.se).