[robocup-worldwide] RoboCup 2010 Singapore Newsletter #2

Zhou Changjiu ZhouCJ at sp.edu.sg
Fri Feb 19 05:30:06 EST 2010

RoboCup 2010 Singapore Newsletter #2

120 days to Kick-off!
This newsletter contains important information for RoboCup 2010
participants with regard to:

1.    Accommodation
2.    Food and facility in Suntec City
3.    Your estimated expenses
4.    Shipping Robots and Equipment
5.    Registration for visitors
6.    Volunteers
7.    Community

1. Accommodation

Accommodation for Junior participants

Arrangements have been made for Junior participants to be housed at Prince
George's Park Residences (PGPR) at the National University of Singapore
(NUS).

At these residences, there are clusters of 11 to 15 single
non-air-conditioned rooms on each floor. Each floor has a common kitchen,
laundry and bathroom facilities. The package will include daily breakfast,
internet access, an amenities pack, transportation between the residences
and the competition venue at Suntec City as well as airport transfer. The
residences, which are about 12 kilometres from Suntec City, are also easily
accessible by public buses and taxis.

This option for accommodation is only open to Junior participants who have
qualified and fully registered. Reservations must be made through the team
mentors. Bookings will not be accepted from individual Junior team members.

As the number of rooms at the Junior accommodation is limited, rooms will
be allotted on a first-come-first-serve basis. Once all the rooms have been
allotted, the online reservation system will be closed for Junior
participants.

All Junior Accommodation Packages include:

·     8 days 7 nights (18 to 25 June 2010) accommodation at Prince George's
Park Residences (PGPR)
·     2-way airport transfers (*subject to schedule)
·     2-way daily transportation to competition venue at Suntec City
(*subject to schedule)
·     Daily breakfast
·     Amenities pack (containing hand towel, bath towel, bath gel, shampoo,
comb, shower cap, mini sewing kit, toothbrush & mini toothpaste, a small
bar of soap, razor kit)
·     Internet access (please bring your own LAN cables for internet access
in room)

Contact Information

Prince George's Park Residences (PGPR)
27 Prince George's Park
Singapore 118425
Contact: (65) 6779 6997
Contact: (65) 6516 1578
Email: juniorstay at robocup2010.org

Cost of package

S$360 for Junior participant
S$460 for each accompanying adult
( Inclusive of a refundable deposit of SGD 50 per room)

Booking for accommodations will open from 1 Mar 2010 at
http://www.robocup2010.org/participants_Accommodation.php

Tips of booking accommodation

Accommodation in Singapore is relatively affordable with different hotels
catering to different budgets and needs. They range from backpacker, budget
and youth hostels to boutique and five-star hotels.

Furthermore, the competition venue is easily accessible from various parts
of Singapore via public transport with the favourable option of the new
Mass Rapid Transit (MRT); Esplanade Station is right at the doorstep.

Most hotels come offer standard facilities like International Direct Dial
(IDD) phones, internet and cable access, room service, mini bars, data
ports for modem, no-smoking rooms or floors, and business and fitness
centres furnished with the latest equipment.

Some of the hotels will be offering RoboCup 2010 rates throughout your stay
in Singapore.

Look out on RoboCup 2010 website for more updates that will follow!
http://www.robocup2010.org/participants_Accommodation.php

Accommodation Search is also available on the Singapore Tourism Board (STB)
Website:
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/apps/accommodation_search.html
and
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/apps/hotel_search.html

2. Food and facilities at Suntec City (Competition Venue)

Competition Venue Information
www.suntecsingapore.com

The Suntec Singapore International Convention and Exhibition Centre branded
as Suntec Singapore, was officially opened on 30 August 1995. With over 1
million square feet (93,000 m²) of space, it has one of Asia's largest
column-free space in the form of a multi-purpose convention hall with
12,000 square metres of space.  Located in the heart of Singapore’s
business district, the International Convention Centre (ICC) is also
conveniently located near the many hotels, just a walk away.

Address of Suntec City:
Suntec Singapore International Convention & Exhibition Centre
Address: 1 Raffles Boulevard Suntec City, Singapore 039593
Contact: (65) 6337 2888
www.suntecsingapore.com

Food at Suntec City

Singaporeans are passionate about food and you can find a large variety
within Suntec City catered to different budgets.

 Budget Meals
·     Food Republic
·     Fountain Terrace

These food courts provide the most affordable local flavours and
international cuisine in Suntec City.

Affordable Meals
·     Burger King
·     Kentucky Fried Chicken
·     McDonald’s

Restaurants
·     Han’s
·     Pepper Lunch
·     Pizza Hut
·     Sakae Sushi
·     Swenson’s
·     Tuk Tuk Thai Kitchen

Listed Amenities in Suntec City
·     Carrefour (Supermarket)
·     Money Changers
·     Post Office
·     Electronic Stores (Dell/Epi Centre – Apple Products)
·     Toys ‘R’ Us
·     Nike/Adidas (Sports Apparel)
·     Cinema
·     Banks/ATM
·     Tourist Attractions (DuckTours/HippoTours/Fountain of Wealth)
·     Clinics (Shenton Medical Group/Bethesda Medical Centre)

3. Your estimated expenses

Food in Suntec City

Different cateood pricing are available. It can be divided into Budget
(<S$6 person/meal), Affordable (S$6.00 - S$10.00 person/meal) and
Restaurants (>S$10 person/meal).

Travelling by train

Getting around Singapore is a breeze with the MRT. To locate an MRT
station, simply look out for MRT signs displayed along main roads and the
beacons and signs prominently displayed outside stations.

The MRT fare ranges S$1.00 - S$2.00
(Exclusive of a $1 deposit is required and is refundable at GTMs or the
Passenger Service Centre at your alighting station)

Travelling by bus

There is no better way to uncover Singapore's hidden charms than by taking
a ride on a bus. You are sure to discover something new about Singapore on
your journey.

The bus fare ranges S$0.60 - S$1.80 (per bus trip)

Travelling by taxi

In Singapore, taxi cab fares are charged by the taxi meter and are based on
a flag down rate and the distance travelled. The flag down rate ranges from
S$2.80 to S$3.20 (depending on the type of taxi). A location surcharge may
also apply.

During peak hours (7am to 9.30am and 5pm to 8pm), there is a surcharge of
35% of metered fare.

You can too book a taxi by phone. Do note that a booking fee is applicable.
|------------------------+------------+----+------------------------------------|
| Basic fare             | Normal     |    | Peak Hour Surcharge                |
|------------------------+------------+----+------------------------------------|
| Flag down              | $2.80-$3.20|    | Monday to Friday : 7.00am to 9.30  |
| (inclusive of 1st km or|            |    | am35% of metered fare              |
| less)                  |            |    |                                    |
|------------------------+------------+----+------------------------------------|
|Every 1 km after        | $0.80      |    | Monday to Saturday: 5.00pm to 8.00 |
|                        | average    |    | pm35% of metered fare              |
|------------------------+------------+----+------------------------------------|

For example:
From Changi Airport (East) to Suntec City (Central): S$17.00
(During off-peak hours, inclusive of surcharge of S$3.00 from Changi
Airport)

For more information on travelling within Singapore, you may visit
Singapore Tourism Board Website:
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/getting_around/transportation.html

4. Shipping Robots and Equipment

Transit Air Cargo has been appointed as the official freight forwarder for
RoboCup 2010 in Singapore.
Transit Air Cargo is also one of the approved on-site freight handling
agents for Suntec City, the competition venue.

Please contact Shawn Goh to make arrangements for your shipment.
Tel: (65) 6438 1686
Fax: (65) 6438 1466
Mobile: (65) 9008 7576
Email: freightforwarder at robocup2010.org
Website: www.transitairasia.com.sg

Alternatively, you may use ATA Carnets to import your robots and other
equipment.

Each country in the ATA chain has a single guaranteeing organization
approved by its national customs authority and WCF. The guaranteeing body
is entitled to issue Carnets and to authorize local entities to deliver
Carnets on its behalf.

More details on the ATA Carnets are available at
http://www.iccwbo.org/ata/id2965/index.html

In addition, we will provide the latest updates and requirements on custom
clearance in the near future. Do look out for it!
http://www.robocup2010.org/participants_CargoShipping.php

5. Registration for visitors

The RoboCup 2010 Singapore will be open to public from 21 June to 24 June
2010 at Suntec City.

You can register online FOR FREE ADMISSION to this event at
http://www.robocup2010.org/visitors.php

An acknowledgement letter will be sent to you via email. Please print and
bring along the acknowledgement letter to the registration counter at
Suntec City.

6. Volunteers

The organizing committee of RoboCup 2010 Singapore requires a strong team
of volunteers to assist us in welcoming thousands of participants from
around the world to the event. We are looking for like-minded and energetic
young people who are fascinated by robotics and love working with people
from around the world!

For more information log on to
http://www.robocup2010.org/home_Volunteers.php

7. Community

Join us on Facebook and Twitter for the most updated information!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=214286614774
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RoboCup2010

8. Contact Details

Please contact the RoboCup 2010 Office for enquiries at:

Tel: (65) 6772 1418
Fax: (65) 6870 8044
Email: office at robocup2010.org
Website: www.robocup2010.org