[robocup-worldwide] RoboCup @ AAMAS

Ubbo Visser visser at cs.miami.edu
Mon Dec 14 03:22:50 EST 2009

Dear RoboCuppers,

most of you will remember last year's announcement from our President
Manuela Veloso saying that we would like to focus this year on showing
research results, discussing future research potentials, and tell
other communities how great RoboCup is.

We are pleased to announce that there will be a nice opportunity for
this at AAMAS 2010: the workshop "Agents in real-time and dynamic
environments" has been confirmed recently.

So, please spread the word, prepare and submit a paper and come to
Toronto, Canada in May 2010. Here is the CFP including links:

Best regards,
Ubbo Visser
Sahar Asadi
Tim Laue
N. Michael Mayer

    Call for Papers

    Agents in Real-time and Dynamic Environments

    Workshop @ AAMAS 2010
    Toronto, Canada, May 10th or 11th, 2010
    (exact date will be announced soon)

    http://dyn-agents.informatik.uni-bremen.de/

Recent developments in multiagent systems (MAS) have been promising by
achieving autonomous, collaborative behavior between agents in various
environments (e.g. RoboCup, DARPA challenge). However, most of the
agents, both software agents and physical agents, still have problems
if the environment is dynamic and the agents have to act in real time.

Examples are obstacle avoidance with moving obstacles or world models
which are composed from egocentric views of numerous agents. Another
aspect is the need for quick responses. In an environment where a
number of agents build a team and both single agent decisions and team
collaborative decisions have to be made methods have to be fast and
precise. This workshop addresses various problems that occur with
respect to these issues.

Topics of Interest
------------------
The main focus of this workshop will be methods from various areas
such as world modeling, planning, learning, and communicating with
agents in real-time and dynamic environments. Within this general
theme we aim to bring together researchers to discuss the following
topics: World Modeling (quantitative, qualitative), Coaching (one
agent gives advice to a group of agents), Planning with resources
(especially time), Cooperation between agents (robot and/or humans),
Communication between agents (implicit, non-verbal, or verbal one),
Real-time systems software issues (often ignored but important if
serious about real-time issues in robotics), Scalability and robotics
interfacing issues (demands a great deal of support from the initial
design of the system).

Why and to whom is this workshop of interest?
In the last decade, a lot of effort has been invested to develop
methods that can be used with multiagent systems. Discussions on
combining current research and finding overlaps in the field of
simulation and robotics is of special interest. One example are high
level learning methods being applicable with the constraints that we
can find in real world problems: dynamic environments, autonomous
multiagent, and robotic constraints. A questions arises how these
aspects in parallel can benefit from each other.
Online-learning is another example: we need online learning in a real-
time scenario to give agents the option to learn more about their
environment. Usually, learning takes a fair amount of time but
sometimes this time is not available. Can we find methods which will
consider these restrictions?
The language development in the area of communication between agents
(ACL) might act as another example. Speech acts serve as the basic
principle and various protocols have been invented (e.g. auctions,
contract-nets, etc.). Can we transfer these results to environments
where quick decisions have to be made? Consider planning as another
example: there are promising methods for path planning, but do they
still hold if the observed obstacles are moving?
This workshop addresses researchers from various areas in AI and
Robotics who want to discuss the mentioned issues from their point of
view. How can we develop new methods or adapt existing methods to meet
these demands?

Important Dates and Deadlines
-----------------------------
Deadline for the submission of papers:  FEBRUARY,  2, 2010
Notification of acceptance/rejection:  MARCH 2, 2010
Deadline for the receipt of camera-ready papers:  MARCH 19, 2010
Workshop: MAY 10th or 11th, 2010

All papers will be peer-reviewed and we will have at least three
reviews per paper.

Submission Instructions
-----------------------
Submissions will be done using the ConfMaster system on http://dyn-agents.confmaster.net
.
The style for papers in the proceedings follows the style of the main
conference which can be found on http://www.cse.yorku.ca/AAMAS2010/.
The papers can be extended abstracts or full research papers. Survey
or position papers are also welcome. The papers should end with
relevant bibliographic references and should be no longer than 10 pages.

Organizing Committee
--------------------
Ubbo Visser, University of Miami, FL, USA
Sahar Asadi, Oerebro University, Sweden
Tim Laue, DFKI Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems, Germany
N. Michael Mayer, National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan

Program Committee
-----------------
Luis Almeida, Porto, Portugal
Minoru Asada, Osaka, Japan