[robocup-worldwide] The essence of soccer

Daniel Polani d.polani at herts.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 14:12:40 EST 2009

Peter,

I think this is an excellent and far-sighted contribution. I have just
a few first comments.

I believe that it is necessary to find an aas minimalistic set of
rules as possible restricting possible solutions. As a special case, I
agree with Vadym that one should not specify a particular energy
source. Creative solutions for the energy (and other) problems need to
be allowed for.

Such a minimalistic solution could, for instance, be that total power
throughout the robots operation should not exceed some value, no
matter how it is distributed over the robot. Some others would include
limits to the morphology, mobility of the robots (don't forget that
there was a case where a sportsman with a prosthetic was *not* allowed
to participate at the regular sports events due to his prosthetic
considered to be providing unfair advantage).

What about computational power limitations? If we will have power
surpassing human brains power (in raw computational power), will that
be acceptable even if the body is perfectly human-compatible?

- Daniel