[robocup-worldwide] Khwarazmi National Robotics Competitions

Asad Norouzi assadn at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 08:57:16 EDT 2008

Dear Iranian RoboCuppers !

First of all I need to apologize from other members of the community for receiving this email. Since the original email about Khawrazmi competitions was sent to this mailing-list I also had to reply here.

I also would like to thank Sahar for making some clarifications regarding the Soccer Simulation leagues. The Iranian RoboCup National Committee has been receiving several emails concerning Khawrazmi competitions so we, now, decided to clarify the points that are frequently being asked.

>*I do apologize for using this public domain for a national event*
>
>Dear Iranian RoboCuppers,
>
>I'm glad to inform you that Iranian Research Organization for Science and
>Technology (IROST) is going to host a robotics competition very similar to
>the RoboCup besides annual Khwarizmi festival.
>Since the competition website (http://robotic.irost.org/robotic/) is not
>that much informative, I provide you the result of my discussion with
>organizing office:
>
>1. The competition leagues are: Rescue Real, Rescue Simulation, Small Size,
>Middle Size, 2D Simulation, 3D Simulation, Search Robots, Micro Robots and
>Humanoid
>
>2. Pre-registration deadline is September 11 2008 (online pre-registration
>is now available).
>
>3. Competition will be in October (or December) 2008 !
>
>4. The Organizing and Technical Committees all are from Iranian National
>RoboCup Committee (http://www.iranrobocup.org/).

Iranian RoboCup National Committee members are not members of the organizing committees of these competitions. IRNC members are only giving advices to the technical
committees of these competitions. Since Khawrazmi is not a RoboCup event IRNC members do not enforce RoboCup rules and regulations for these competitions.
>5. Awardees will be introduced to National Elites Organization
>(http://www.bonyad-nokhbegan.ir/) also they will be able to enter to higher
>educations without any more qualification exam.
This has been one of the misleading points raising many questions and inquiries. First of all according to Khawrazmi regulations only 4 members and one team leader are
awarded regardless of the actual number of team members. Furthermore, the decision for continuation of higher level studies without taking the Qualification Exams is not yet
finalized and is yet to be determined.

>6. Its not clear whether the competition out comings will affect in final
>qualification of RoboCup 2009 or not (Instead of Iran-Open 2009 results) but
>not participating teams wont be able to benefit free higher educations even
>if they won next RoboCup ?!
As I mentioned above Khawrazmi is not a RoboCup event and thereby the results from these competitions will not be recognized by the RoboCup Federation. So it is
already clear that the results from these competitions will not be considered for RoboCup 2009 qualifications. The only recognized RoboCup event in Iran is the annual
IranOpen competitions approved by IRNC and RCF. Considering RoboCup events results for qualifications can only be decided by the RCF and currently only the Rescue
Robot League is taking RoboCup Open competitions results into account when making the qualifications. According to current RRL rules teams are required to participate
in atleast one RoboCup Open competitions. Last year teams were required to have participated in either one of the following competions: JapanOpen, GermanOpen,
IranOpen. Lastly, even teams who have not participated in Khawrazmi competitions maybe entitled to apply for higher education privileges. According to the current
non-governmental universitites regulations all teams who have gained either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in RoboCup International Competitions are qualified to apply for higher
education privileges. Also 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winning teams in IranOpen competitions can apply but are also required to have participated in the RoboCup international
competitions. The regulations for governmental universities are a bit different and only winners of certain leagues in RoboCup and IranOpen competitions may apply.
However, IRNC is having discussions with the Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology to pave a path for all champions of all leagues to be able to apply for higher
education privileges.

>Please note that all these items are based on my oral discussion with the
>competition office.
>
>Regards,
>Amir

We've also received numerous emails asking about details of next IranOpen competitions. The RoboCup IranOpen2009 will be held in April, however, please allow me to
provide the details after it has been approved by the RCF Trustees.

Regards,
Iranian RoboCup National Committee