[robocup-small] Team Leader meeting summary

Carla Cosenza carlaszecosenza at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 9 18:11:24 EST 2021

Hello!

Firstly, thank you to all the team leaders who participated in our meeting! We had important discussions about the upcoming competition and many interesting suggestions were made.

As announced in the team leader meeting, the RoboCup organizers decided not to host a physical RoboCup in France, but only have virtual and decentral events. The good news is that we can now focus on planning for such events. We have set up a form<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FLZqGcQqh6R5943Re7&data=04%7C01%7Crobocup-small%40cc.gatech.edu%7C11ef9a914ba04e87939808d8b4f3e387%7C482198bbae7b4b258b7a6d7f32faa083%7C0%7C0%7C637458306869773732%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=xN6cRps1Fv%2FGrUCExTuEsXnNyUMyvYYX6vM0BaqRolI%3D&reserved=0> to gather some initial feedback from all teams. This will give us a better understanding on how to proceed with the RoboCup 2021 competition.

Please fill this<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FLZqGcQqh6R5943Re7&data=04%7C01%7Crobocup-small%40cc.gatech.edu%7C11ef9a914ba04e87939808d8b4f3e387%7C482198bbae7b4b258b7a6d7f32faa083%7C0%7C0%7C637458306869773732%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=xN6cRps1Fv%2FGrUCExTuEsXnNyUMyvYYX6vM0BaqRolI%3D&reserved=0> out by 18th of January, 2021.

Below are the topics discussed in the meeting. Any teams that did not manage to participate in the meeting, please look at what was discussed in the doc and inform us if there are any other topics you want to discuss.

Virtual competition

  *   The current proposition is to have a fully virtual competition, with a chosen simulator.

  *   Concerning the rules, there are many options on that. We could run an all-inclusive tournament, in which teams decide if they will play with Div A or Div B rules or we could run separate tournaments. The first option would allow more integration between teams, so we are more inclined to it.

Physical challenges

  *   Since our physical robots are a very important part of our league, we still want to have events with them and have them incorporated in some way in the competition.

  *   Therefore, we want to host the technical challenges in each team’s lab, both the vision and ball placement challenge. This would mean that the team would live stream on a certain time and present the challenge to the league.

  *   Another idea is to have skill tests. In order to have a fair virtual competition, we would host small events in which teams would show the skill set that their robots are capable of performing, and these skills would be the ones the robots would be able to use in the virtual competition.

  *   Another suggestion was to hold past technical challenges as small events.

Other topics

  *   We are planning on hosting virtual poster sessions for teams to share their research and projects

  *   We can still host the open-source awards, with online voting

  *   Another possibility is having virtual sessions for the discussion of hardware improvements

  *   There was also the question regarding participation fees. The OCs and TCs received information stating that the fees will be lower due to the fact that the competition will be virtual, but no values have been determined yet.

We will soon be sending emails about qualification and participation in the 2021 RoboCup.

Thank you!

Carla Cosenza

RoboCup Small Size League | Organizing Committee