[robocup-small] RoboCup SSL Kit Concept Feedback Requested

Stefan Posey stefan.posey at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:03:05 EDT 2018

All,

I've been working on robot base/platform. It is still in progress, but I
would like to get some feedback.
- Link to model = https://a360.co/2JW6CM4

Concept Pillars:
- Lower cost entry for new / starting teams
-- Possibly a fleet to use as practice / in house testing?
- Reduced feature set as compared to top teams
- Omni wheels with the ability to be repurposed

Proposed Feature Set:
- 3 wheel platform
- Kicker, but no chipper
- Main board = BeagleBone Blue
- Motor board = Add on to be designed for beagle bone stack
- Kicker board = I believe there is one floating on github somewhere

Kit would be supplied in a to be assembled state meaning...
- A team would get the custom mechanical parts, but nothing is put
together.
- Motors would need to be sourced by a team on their own. (unless a motor
requires customization and triggers a MoQ requirement)
- Boards unique to the kit might be routed, but they would need to be
populated.
- Wire harness / runs would need to be made by teams.

I can look into these being provided in various levels of assembly if there
is an interest.

Would like to hear feedback from teams and individuals on the above concept
and bullet points.

I did SSL from 2007 - 2012 and every year there would be a number of teams
that would try and not make it to competition their 1st year. These
programs would fail due to the high barrier of entry and the inherent
challenges of standing up hardware and software in parallel. I think
something like this would allow more teams to start, succeed in making it
to competition their 1st year, and thus continue on toward the RoboCup
objective.

Thanks,

--
Stefan Posey