[robocup-small] Technical Updates for the RoboCup 2018

Nicolai Ommer nicolai.ommer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 02:37:37 EDT 2018

Dear SSL community,

we are working hard on the preparations for RoboCup 2018. I want to keep
you updated with the planed changes and the current status.

*ssl-rules*
We finalized the rules today. You can find it in our Wiki:
*http://wiki.robocup.org/Small_Size_League/Rules#2018
<http://wiki.robocup.org/Small_Size_League/Rules#2018>*
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to use the issue system on
Github <https://github.com/RoboCup-SSL/ssl-rules/issues>.

*ssl-vision*
The geometry calibration has been improved to be able to quickly adjust the
field dimensions and to define the number of cameras that should be used.
One instance can still handle up to four cameras. In division A, we will be
using two computers.
Please consult the updated Wiki for details:
https://github.com/RoboCup-SSL/ssl-vision/wiki/camera-calibration

Additionally, ssl-vision now supports more camera types, like gigE and
BlueFox USB2.0. There were also some other improvements. Have a look at the
commit and issue history, if you are curious.

*ssl-refbox*
The referee protocol has been extended:
https://github.com/RoboCup-SSL/ssl-refbox/blob/master/referee.proto
It includes the direction of play and the game event (like rule
infringements, as announced by an autoRef). Both information are optional.
The protocol is thus compatible to the old version. You do not need to
change your software, but I recommend to implement the playing direction.

The game time is tracked according to the new rules now.

*AutoRefs*
We have decided not to choose one official implementation. Rather we
consider to run multiple implementations in parallel with a majority vote:
https://github.com/RoboCup-SSL/ssl-autoref-consensus
The implementations of ER-force and TIGERs are currently being updated.

I have created a repository for collecting the existing autoRef
implementations: https://github.com/RoboCup-SSL/ssl-autorefs
It aims for quick installation of all required components, for ensuring
that they build and for testing and comparing them. The tests are still
work in progress.

*ssl-status-board*
Experience from previous tests with the AutoRefs showed that it is
important for the human referee to see the decisions of the AutoRef. There
are several implementations of such status boards, but they all have their
drawbacks. I have created a new, independent one with a web UI. This way,
the screens only need a web browser and the game status can even be seen
through Internet. You can find the deployed client here:
https://tigers-mannheim.de/status-board/
The Repo is here: https://github.com/RoboCup-SSL/ssl-status-board-client
I also want to integrate a stream of the field if I find the time, maybe
based on previous work from RoboIME:
https://github.com/legacy-roboime/ssl-webclient
Any help is welcome.

*Tournament format*
We are currently working on the tournament format and let you know as soon
as we have worked it out.

*Technical Challenges*
There will be no technical challenges this year, as there are many rules
changes that need additional work already.

If you have any questions, comments or want to contribute, you are welcome
to use the Github issues.

Cheers,
Nicolai
(on behalf of the technical, the organizing and the executive committee of
the RoboCup Small Size League)