[robocup-small] Question about computer power

Andre Ryll andre at ryll.cc
Thu Sep 8 08:47:18 EDT 2016

Hi Bob,

from my perspective that PC is totally fine for using ssl-vision. I
sometimes use an Intel NUC5i5RYK with two USB cameras and its running at
60fps without problems. Actually, your configuration is much faster than
that.
Keep in mind that the vision was written some 6 years ago and it has not
changed much resource-wise since then. If you experience performance
issues nonetheless remember that you can disable the live camera image
on the GUI. That usually frees up some resources.

Be extra careful with the Firewire card, especially if you want to use
two cameras with one card. You need a dedicated 800MBit/s (i.e. 1394B)
capable bus for each camera. Most firewire cards with multiple
connections only have one such bus internally and chain them at the
connector side. Unfortunately, this is rarely visible on the
documentation/technical specs site. To be on the safe side I recommend
to use two Firewire cards.

Best regards,

Andre Ryll
Project Leader & Founder of