[robocup-small] AutoRef for RoboCup 2016

Joydeep Biswas joydeepb at cs.umass.edu
Sat Sep 12 12:25:54 EDT 2015

Dear SSL Teams,

We are planning to have all games in RoboCup 2016 be refereed by an
automatic referee (AutoRef), with limited assistance from a human referee.

In order to do so, we would like to ensure that every team has ample
opportunity to both contribute, as well as evaluate AutoRef options.
Therefore, we would like to invite all teams to contribute AutoRef software
options, and to evaluate every other teams' options.

To encourage teams to participate, a "Best Auto-Ref" trophy will be awarded to
the team of the winning AutoRef at RoboCup 2016.

This will be done in the following phases:
Phase 1) Teams announce the intent to provide AutoRef by announcing to
robocup-small with the subject "AutoRef Software : TeamName"
Phase 2) The software will be made available to the public
Phase 3) Teams provide feedback by responding publicly to the emails
announcing the software options
Phase 4) The AutoRef code is frozen
Phase 5) All teams vote on the AutoRef options (procedure TBD).

Note that the teams can continue development and improvements to the code
during phases 2 and 3.

Here are the deadlines for the phases:
1) Deadline to announce intent to provide AutoRef: September 30th 2015
2) Deadline to provide version 1 of AutoRef source code: November 30th 2015
3) Deadline to provide feedback: January 30th 2016
4) Deadline to freeze AutoRef code: February 30th 2016
5) Deadline to vote on AutoRef options: March 30th 2016

Regards,
Joydeep Biswas
On behalf of the SSL Technical and Executive Committees.