[robocup-small] Question about the control board.

Andre Ryll andre at ryll.cc
Tue Feb 17 03:59:47 EST 2015

Hi David,

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, as it is a bit
twofold. As Erik said, and I totally agree, all teams design their own
electronics. There is no store (as far as I know) where you could
readily buy such parts conforming to our leagues requirements.
You also mention how to acquire the boards, so I guess you mean the
manufacturing process? There are multiple options. You could make them
yourself at home, but that is very cumbersome and you would be limited
to two layers. And even that is already very difficult. It is much more
common to let a professional PCB company manufacture the boards. There
are quite a lot of online stores for that, even for small numbers and
prototypes. The part placement is a different story. Due to our size
constraints in the league you will most probably need to go for SMD
parts. You can solder most of them by hand if you have some experience
and a steady hand. Even packages down to 0.5mm pitch or no-lead packages
(QFN) can be soldered by hand or with hot air. In our team, we have
recently gone for the full service and also let a company do the
placement for us. Hand-made is cool for the first prototypes, but not
fun for some 10 robots.

To help the advancement of the league and to aid newcommers (or teams
redesigning) we publish our whole software, hardware, electronics, and
firmware usually after each world championship. You can find all
releases here:
https://tigers-mannheim.de/index.php?id=29

I hope that gives you a good start :)

Cheers,