[robocup-small] Moving to Double-Sized Field

Joydeep Biswas joydeep at cmu.edu
Sun Dec 29 08:45:07 EST 2013

Dear Fellow-RoboCuppers of the Small Size League,

We, the Technical, Organizing and Executive committees of the SSL, write to
you today regarding the much-awaited, much-debated, much-anticipated move
to the double-sized field.

We have extensively discussed the pros and cons regarding this big change,
and to summarize the views of the committees, if you, the members of the
SSL, agree to the change to the double-sized field today, we will switch to
the double-sized field in RoboCup 2014, with every assistance from the TC
and OC necessary to make this change happen.

Understanding that some teams might need some more time, we have also
discussed the lesser alternative of voluntary adoption of the double-sized
field in RC2014, with compulsory change in RC2015. However, we believe and
hope that the SSL community will embrace the change of field size this
year, thus opening up many avenues for development in the SSL for the years
ahead.

The collected views (considering pros and cons) of the TC, OC, and the
Executive committee, regarding this matter are available in the following
shared document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mip36bZCGtwGX2Sw1QIm35ixyoFGuMWVSPl91kFCCTI/pub

We request all the teams to go through the document, and respond with their
views regarding the following two questions, to be answered by filling out
the survey form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dRb6ltDaYu9y_0jGcb86Tnknr10SIg8TqWdyNQim4hc/viewform

We request the teams to respond as soon as possible, by January 10th 2014
in the interest of preparation for RoboCup 2014.

Q: When, does your team feel should the SSL move to the larger,
double-sized field?

Option 1: This year, at RoboCup 2014.

Option 2: Voluntarily for RoboCup 2014, Compulsorily for 2015.

Option 3: At some unknown future RoboCup.

Option 4: Never

Q: What can the TC and OC do, to make the transition easier to the larger
field?

Regards,

The Technical, Organization, and Executive committees of the RoboCup SSL,
2014.