[robocup-small] RoboCup 2013 Eindhoven, the Netherlands [Newsletter #5]

Angelo Gurzoni Jr jgurzoni at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jun 10 23:13:45 EDT 2013

CONTENTS

1.    Preface

2.    Risk & damages and photograph & video release forms

3.    Opening ceremonies

4.    Route to the venue

5.    Introducing sponsors

6.    Contact

1.   Preface

This is the last newsletter before RoboCup 2013. The final preparations have started and the construction of the venue is also already in progress. We are really looking forward to the event and to welcome you all to RoboCup 2013 in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.

In this newsletter we would like to inform you regarding the risk & damages and the photograph and video release forms that should be signed before entering the venue. Besides this, you can find information about the opening ceremony for RoboCupJunior and the way to get to the venue. Finally, we would like to introduce more of our sponsors to you.

Did you know that next to the venue De Tongelreep, one of the largest swimming centers in Europe, is located? For all participants of RoboCup 2013 we arranged an entrance fee of only 2 euro’s. So if you like to swim, don’t forget your swimwear!

2.   Risk & damages and photograph & video release forms

On the RoboCup 2013 website you can find an important document regarding (1) a notice on the risk of bodily or personal injury and/or property loss or damage and (2) a photograph and videotape release form. This document should be signed by all major and junior participants before entering the venue.

To avoid delays in the registration process we kindly ask you to print and sign the two documents before the event and to bring the signed documents while registering.

Note: Participants that are under 18 years old should have both documents signed by a parent or guardian.

You can download the form on http://www.robocup2013.org/notice-to-participants/ or directly using this link<http://www.robocup2013.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RoboCup2013_Notice_on_risks_and_damages_2013.pdf>.

3.   Opening ceremonies
On the 26th of June RoboCup 2013 will be opened with a spectacular show with dance, music and (high) voltage. For the senior participants the opening ceremony will take place at 16:00 hr followed by a drink.

This year we will also have an opening ceremony for RoboCupJunior. This ceremony will be held on June 26 at 21:00 hr after the RoboCupJunior venue closes.

Make sure you don’t miss this festive start of RoboCup 2013!

You can find the Major and Junior schedules on our website using the links below. On the website you can also download a PDF version of the schedules.
Major schedule: http://www.robocup2013.org/major-leagues-schedule/
Junior schedule: http://www.robocup2013.org/junior-leagues-schedule/

4.   Route to the venue

Below you can find various ways of transport to the venue:
RoboCup 2013
Antoon Coolenlaan 3
5644 RX Eindhoven

Public Transport
You can plan your journey by public transport at http://9292.nl/en, also for the journey from and to the hotels. With this site you can find how late the busses and trains depart and the prices of the trips.

If you want to use public transport during your stay you can consider the OV-chip card. It is possible to travel cheaper by putting credit on the card. More information about the OV-chip card can be found here: http://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/aanvragen/welkekaartpastbiju/toeristen/.

Airport Schiphol Amsterdam
You can go easily with the train from Airport Schiphol Amsterdam to Eindhoven central station. Tickets can be bought in the machines a floor above the platforms but it is also possible to use the OV-chipcard for this trip (same price).

>From Schiphol Amsterdam direct trains to Eindhoven depart every 30 minutes (16 and 46 minutes past the hour). Also, every 30 minutes a train departs that requires 1 change (every hour and 30 minutes past the hour); first take the train to Nijmegen, change at Utrecht to the train to Maastricht. The travel time takes approximately 1:30 hours.

PAY ATTENTION: If you arrive after the 27th of June and for your journey back, there is work scheduled on the track between Eindhoven and Amsterdam from June 27 till July 11. There are two options: travel via Breda or travel on the normal track and take a bus between ‘s-Hertogenbosch and Zaltbommel. Look at http://9292.nl/en for your best option. Unlike the say on the website, travelling with Fyra is surcharge-free during the proceedings.

Airport Eindhoven
>From Airport Eindhoven you can travel by bus to train station Eindhoven. You can take bus 401, which departs every 10 minutes during the day. Get out at Eindhoven station, terminus of the bus line.

Train station Eindhoven
If you participate in the Junior competitions you have to take from Eindhoven central station bus 17 and get off at the bus stop ‘Eindhoven, Zwemcentrum Tongelreep’.

If you participate in the Major competitions you can take bus 7, 170, 171 or 172, 184 and get off at the bus stop ‘Eindhoven, Theo Koomenlaan’.

You can use the OV-chip card for this trip, or buy a ticket in the bus (this is more expensive). On both bus stops information will be provided for the walking routes.

Car
When coming from the A58, A2 or A67 get onto the N2 road. When on the N2, take exit 33 ‘Waalre/Valkenswaard’. After taking the exit, keep following signs for ‘Genneper Parken’. After about 500 meters go left at the first traffic lights.

For the senior competition you go left again after the water tower (Willem Elsschotlaan) and at the T-junction again to the left. This will lead you to the Indoor Sports Centre. You can only use the parking space next to the Indoor Sport Centre on Monday and Thursday, the other days you have to use the parking space at the swimming Centre.

For the junior competition you have to stay on the Antoon Coolenlaan. You will see a big parking lot on your left.

Taxi
It is also possible to book a taxi from the airport/station to the venue.
Click here: http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol.htm  for more information about taxis at Schiphol and click here: http://www.eindhovenairport.com/en/accessibility/by-taxi/  for more information about taxis at Eindhoven airport. The taxis at the central station in Eindhoven can be found next to the busses or at the centrum side of the station.

5.   Introducing sponsors

Accenture
With a Technology Lab at the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven and leading clients such as Philips and ASML, Accenture is an active member of this innovative hotspot. Accenture wants to fuel enthusiasm for robotics and stimulate high-tech initiatives to register for the Innovation Awards through www.innovation-awards.nl. Accenture is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with more than 261,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, more info on www.accenture.nl<http://www.accenture.nl>.

Aldebaran Robotics
Founded in 2005 by Bruno Maisonnier and now established in France, the US and China, ALDEBARAN ROBOTICS designs, produces and sells humanoid robots in order to contribute to humankind's well-being. There are currently over 3,500 units of the first NAO robot operating within schools and universities in over 70 countries worldwide to serve teaching and research. ALDEBARAN ROBOTICS has a team of more than 280 people, 40% of whom are engineers and doctors, involved in developing and producing its robots."

Festo
Festo Didactic is the world-leading equipment and solution provider for industrial education. We design and implement learning laboratories, educational equipment and programs that train people to perform in highly dynamic and complex industrial environments. Our goal is to maximize the learning success in educational institutions and industrial companies around the globe.

Focal
Focal Meditech is manufacturer and supplier of healthcare robotics serving the autonomy of handicapped persons. This type of robotics make activities like object manipulation, independent eating or drinking possible or support weak human arm function when lifting objects. Prominent products are wheelchair born robotmanipulator Jaco, mealtime robot MySpoon and Focal's dynamic arm supports like Darwing or McArm (under development). A specific type of healthcare robotics is social robotics- robots that aim at social interaction and contact e.g. for persons with dementia. A well- known robot in this domain is robotseal Paro which also is distributed by Focal. All these applications will be shown at the booth of Focal. In addition, handicapped persons will demonstrate their use of Jaco and a Paro playground is present.

High Tech Campus

Turning technology into business. High Tech Campus Eindhoven is an R&D ecosystem of more than 120 companies and institutes, and some 8,000 researchers, developers and entrepreneurs, who together are working on developing the technologies and products of tomorrow. The preferred work approach at the Campus is Open Innovation; Campus companies share knowledge, skills and R&D facilities in order to achieve faster, better and more customer-oriented innovation. (www.hightechcampus.com<http://www.hightechcampus.com>)

KMWE
KMWE is a supplier for the Hightech Industry and Aerospace. KMWE is specialized in the High Mix, Low Volume and High Complexity machining of critical components and the assembly of mechatronic Systems. KMWE is a located in Eindhoven, Malaysia and Turkey. Almost 60 years of experience, an international supplier network, over 300 employees and a continuous drive for Excellence enable us to meet the high demands of our customers.

Maxon Motor
Maxon Motor is the world leading supplier of high-precision drives and systems and proud sponsor of RoboCup 2013! Robots are capable of performing tasks and assisting people that (other) people are incapable of, they are improving life and creating opportunities to new application areas which move mankind forward. Supporting innovation and future applications of robotics is important to society and to us.

Nobleo
Nobleo is a consultancy and engineering company providing high-end expertise and job opportunities. Nobleo stands for ‘noblesse oblige’, which we translate to  “talent is an obligation”, an obligation to perform. The Nobleo employees belong to the top experts in their fields.

Océ
Océ is part of the Canon Group, one of the best known brands in the world. It is active in the areas of Graphic Arts and Document Services. By creating better digital printing systems for technical drawing offices, company printrooms and commercial printers. Or developing more effective ways for people to manage their business critical documents. Our R&D organization is internationally recognized for creating winning technologies, product concepts and software in digital printing and document management. It employs over 2,000 people on 9 global sites. For more information visit http://ocecareers.com.

PhenomWorld
Phenom: Engineered in Eindhoven, exported to China, Japan, etc. - Fast, Outstanding. SEM imaging and analysis. Phenom desktop SEM systems give direct access to high-resolution and high-quality imaging and analysis required in a large variety of applications. An affordable, flexible and fast tool enabling engineers, technicians and educational professionals to investigate micron and submicron structures. Phenom: See sharp, discover more.

ROBOTIS
ROBOTIS is the world’s leading supplier of modular robotic actuators and educational platforms. Since 1999, ROBOTIS has developed innovative products for academic research and STEM education. In 2013, ROBOTIS is launching the DYNANMIXEL PRO - targeted for the full-scale, professional service robot market. ROBOTIS is the co-developer of the open-source humanoid DARwIn-OP and a member of the DARPA Robotics Challenge Track A: Team THOR.

Segula Technologies Nederland
Segula is a strong player in the field of engineering, consulting and associated services. The company is a project organization working for industries (OEM) in amongst others automotive, healthcare and high-tech components & systems industry. Segula Technologies guides its clients throughout the full life cycle of the product, from initial design to operational maintenance. www.segula.nl<http://www.segula.nl>.

TURTLE-5k
The TURTLE-5k is a low cost soccer robot similar to the 2012 world champion of TechUnited (TU/e). It was redesigned by a consortium of 4 (industrial) partners who mainly focused on getting the cost price as low as possible. The original world champion costs per robot approximately €26.000,- (cost price). This new robot will make it easier for new teams to enter the competition of the Middle-size League.

6.   Contact

For questions regarding RoboCup 2013, please contact one of the mail addresses below.
General:          info at robocup2013.org<mailto:info at robocup2013.org>
Chairs:             chair at robocup2013.org<mailto:chair at robocup2013.org>
Competitions: competitions at robocup2013.org<mailto:competitions at robocup2013.org>

See you all in a couple of weeks at the Genneper Parcs in Eindhoven.

On behalf of the RoboCup 2013 organization.

Best regards,

Roel Merry & René van de Molengraft
(co-chairs RoboCup 2013)