[robocup-small] New Rules

Juan Pablo Mendoza jpmendoza at ri.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 28 14:29:04 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I think that trying to increase the teams' abilities to kick, track and
defend against chip shots is a worthwhile scientific pursuit. However, I do
agree with other comments here that we have to be careful to not detract
from other aspects of game play by encouraging more chip shots. For
example, it does seem like the rule change, as currently stated, would
significantly increase the expected reward of unintelligently chipping into
the opponent's defense area, in hopes for either a goal or a bounce off the
goalkeeper that would leave attackers in a very advantageous position with
respect to defenders who cannot enter the defense area.

In that sense, I also find Joydeep's suggestion of stopping game play when
the goalie touches the ball after a chip shot interesting. As slightly
alternative suggestions, maybe the ball could be considered "caught" by the
goalie in the defense area (and thus game play stops) only if it hits the
top of the goalie, or only if it hits the goalie before the first bounce.
It seems like this would encourage accurate chip shot tracking and a more
active and intelligent goalkeeper, while discouraging random chip shots
onto the goal.

Finally, have you considered the option of first making the problem of
defending against a chip shot a technical challenge, before incorporating
it into the rules of the game? It seems like this would give all teams an
opportunity to get up to date on this aspect of the game, thus providing a
more even playing field for all teams.

Juan Pablo