[robocup-small] Robocup 2012 Major Rule Changes

Christopher Head chead at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Dec 13 18:25:40 EST 2011

Hello small-size teams!

Here's an update on the work the committees have been doing for Mexico
2012 so far. We've sorted out three main items so far: major rule
changes, minor rule changes, and dates and deadlines. The major rule
changes and deadlines are below; the minor rule changes will be in a
separate e-mail once we nail down the details.

For major rule changes, based on the team survey, we will be making the
following changes:

1. The maximum ball speed will be reduced from 10m/s to between 6m/s
and 8m/s. Expect to hear back on the exact limit within the next month
after we review videos of some tests using the lower speeds.

2. The size of the defence area around the goal will be increased. The
length of the straight part will remain at its present value of 350mm.
The radii of the two arcs will increase from 500mm to 800mm.
Accordingly, the penalty shot mark will be moved from its current
position 450mm from the goal to a new position 750mm from the goal.

3. Each team may field up to six robots instead of five.

The total size of the field will remain unchanged this year, but expect
it to change in the near future.

For dates and deadlines, the following apply for Mexico 2012:

Team preregistration ends January 31, 2012.

Team qualification materials are due February 28, 2012.

Qualification results will be announced by March 18, 2012.

Technical challenge signups are due April 1, 2012.

Teams' financial support must be confirmed by April 20, 2012.

Early registration is open March 1–April 30, 2012.

Regular registration is open May 1–May 31, 2012.

Late registration (for team members only, NOT TEAMS) is open June
1–June 23, 2012.

See you in Mexico!
Christopher Head
RoboCup Small Size Technical Committee