[robocup-small] REMINDER - Major Rule Changes 2012 Discussion

Angelo Gurzoni Jr jgurzoni at yahoo.com.br
Tue Nov 8 22:27:12 EST 2011

Hello Everybody.

We would like to once again encourage everybody to send opinions, suggestions, criticism and any other feedback regarding the major rule changes to the mailing list, so the TC can make sure all the views of the SSL community were taken into consideration. Every opinion counts.

There were some comments made on the League’s group on Facebook, but certainly there are many more valuable views yet to be shared !

Below a copy of what was discusses on the Facebook group so far.

Regards,

Angelo

On behalf of the SSL TC for RoboCup Mexico 2012

==== Extract from the League’s Facebook page ====

== About Ball Speed ==

Yang Liu

I disagree since the new field size and even the current size is reasonably big enough for max 10m/s shooting to keep some highly dynamic game, and decreasing ball speed will lower the challenge in many areas (tactics, vision filtering, motion control, etc...). In current games it's almost impossible to score by shooting straight from defense area.

J Angelo Gurzoni Junior

I also like the ball's high speed we have now, but the problem is that those dynamic games are not happening. What most frequently happens is a game with many many indirect kicks. Plays look like snooker games at best, even for the top teams. I think the ball speed may be increased again in the future, but after we can see these dynamical games happening. Right now, there's just too many indirect kicks and game stops. And we can't go back to have bounds on the field, it would be anti-evolutive for the league. Of course, as all the rules, they are not magic answers, teams need to focus development on the topics.

J Angelo Gurzoni Junior

Posting here feedback we got: Some people suggested a higher ball speed limitation, perhaps at 8 m/s, or at the minimum 7 m/s.

Sepehr Mohaimanian Pour

I think 10 m/s limit is great for new field size ! as you know the diameter of new field will be around 9.15 and passing the ball from our corner ( like goal kick ) with the most speed of ball ( 6 m/s ) takes 3-4 seconds to reach the destination ( considering friction ) , another reason that i disagree the 6 m/s limitation is that some teams robots can reach 4 m/s speed and it's not rational that balls maximum kicking speed be 150% of robots speed ...

=== About Increasing defense area ===

Mani Monajjemi

This is really a good idea. However, in order to guarantee that keepers can do their job without help, the decrease in ball speed needs to be in the rules as well.

Мустафа Золотой

‎Mani Monajjemi, it seems it is scheduled to be implemented too ;) but alas, there has been too few comments, both in mailing-list based and social-page based communities yet!

Yang Liu

I think this is good idea to increase defense area, maybe with 6 robots is more reasonable.

=== About 6 robots ====

Мустафа Золотой

the idea is far more than good where the defense area and the field itself is about to be increased!

Bahador Moosavi

While I understand the reasons behind why this would be beneficial, if this gets implemented at the same time as the 'increased defense area' rule, I wonder if teams won't use this extra player in their defense area (i.e. we might be discouraging the usage of 3 goalkeepers, but teams now can afford to have 4 keepers!) making both rule changes somewhat ineffective ...

J Angelo Gurzoni Junior

‎Bahador, I kept thinking about what you said, and I think the larger defense not only neutralizes the 'extra goalie' but also gives the attacker team one more attacker to explore. And we know that passing the ball kills the 'extra goalies' :-)

Мустафа Золотой

Even with an extra keeper, a small increment in defense area will make it hard to use that extra one efficient, since increasing the area by the radius means increasing the free open angles for attackers. and besides, what J Angelo Gurzoni Junior says is a definitive answer, with dynamic multi-agent strategy base games in mind, this extra can have both roles of attack and defense, or thinking fuzzy, a Midfielder!