[robocup-small] 2nd CfP: AAMAS 2010 Workshop on Agents in Real-time and Dynamic Environments

Tim Laue Tim.Laue at dfki.de
Sun Jan 17 07:54:12 EST 2010

   Call for Papers

   Agents in Real-time and Dynamic Environments

   Workshop @ AAMAS 2010
   Toronto, Canada, May 10th or 11th, 2010
   (exact date will be announced soon)

   http://dyn-agents.informatik.uni-bremen.de/

Recent developments in multiagent systems (MAS) have been promising by
achieving autonomous, collaborative behavior between agents in various
environments (e.g. RoboCup, DARPA challenge). However, most of the
agents, both software agents and physical agents, still have problems if
the environment is dynamic and the agents have to act in real time.

Examples are obstacle avoidance with moving obstacles or world models
which are composed from egocentric views of numerous agents. Another
aspect is the need for quick responses. In an environment where a number
of agents build a team and both single agent decisions and team
collaborative decisions have to be made methods have to be fast and
precise. This workshop addresses various problems that occur with
respect to these issues.

Topics of Interest
------------------
The main focus of this workshop will be methods from various areas such
as world modeling, planning, learning, and communicating with agents in
real-time and dynamic environments. Within this general theme we aim to
bring together researchers to discuss the following topics: World
Modeling (quantitative, qualitative), Coaching (one agent gives advice
to a group of agents), Planning with resources (especially time),
Cooperation between agents (robot and/or humans), Communication between
agents (implicit, non-verbal, or verbal one), Real-time systems software
issues (often ignored but important if serious about real-time issues in
robotics), Scalability and robotics interfacing issues (demands a great
deal of support from the initial design of the system).

Why and to whom is this workshop of interest?
In the last decade, a lot of effort has been invested to develop methods
that can be used with multiagent systems. Discussions on combining
current research and finding overlaps in the field of simulation and
robotics is of special interest. One example are high level learning
methods being applicable with the constraints that we can find in real
world problems: dynamic environments, autonomous multiagent, and robotic
constraints. A questions arises how these aspects in parallel can
benefit from each other.
Online-learning is another example: we need online learning in a
real-time scenario to give agents the option to learn more about their
environment. Usually, learning takes a fair amount of time but sometimes
this time is not available. Can we find methods which will consider
these restrictions?
The language development in the area of communication between agents
(ACL) might act as another example. Speech acts serve as the basic
principle and various protocols have been invented (e.g. auctions,
contract-nets, etc.). Can we transfer these results to environments
where quick decisions have to be made? Consider planning as another
example: there are promising methods for path planning, but do they
still hold if the observed obstacles are moving?
This workshop addresses researchers from various areas in AI and
Robotics who want to discuss the mentioned issues from their point of
view. How can we develop new methods or adapt existing methods to meet
these demands?

Important Dates and Deadlines
-----------------------------
Deadline for the submission of papers:  FEBRUARY,  2, 2010
Notification of acceptance/rejection:  MARCH 2, 2010
Deadline for the receipt of camera-ready papers:  MARCH 19, 2010
Workshop: MAY 10th or 11th, 2010

All papers will be peer-reviewed and we will have at least three reviews
per paper.

Submission Instructions
-----------------------
Submissions will be done using the ConfMaster system on
http://dyn-agents.confmaster.net.
The style for papers in the proceedings follows the style of the main
conference which can be found on http://www.cse.yorku.ca/AAMAS2010/. The
papers can be extended abstracts or full research papers. Survey or
position papers are also welcome. The papers should end with relevant
bibliographic references and should be no longer than 10 pages.

Organizing Committee
--------------------
Ubbo Visser, University of Miami, FL, USA
Sahar Asadi, Örebro University, Sweden
Tim Laue, DFKI Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems, Germany
N. Michael Mayer, National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan

Program Committee
-----------------
Luis Almeida, Porto, Portugal
Minoru Asada, Osaka, Japan