[robocup-small] robocup-small Digest, Vol 55, Issue 4

jgurzoni at yahoo.com.br jgurzoni at yahoo.com.br
Thu Aug 13 08:24:05 EDT 2009

Ravish, greetings.
My first gut reaction when I heard of mandatory was also similar to yours, but if you read the SSL roadmap document you may change your mind. With a standard vision, leaving aside the argument that new teams would benefit from the availability of such system (as even as optional this benefit holds), you still have other good reasons:
- it is easier to increase the no. of cameras and then be able to increase the field size. Right now its already a mess to have all the cameras of all teams.
- little advance was made scientifically with vision systems. proof of that is that most teams have similar solutions today. Also, the system doesn't give you just everything but rather the basics. You still have to work on tracking and etc.
- you can still contribute designing plug-ins to the system, as we are doing in RoboFEI team. We're developing a neural network based color calibration system. The ssl-vision developers really made it modular and easy to add plug-ins.
- you can contribute to the ssl-vision project as well. Its an open source.

Cheers
Junior
RoboFEI Team

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile