[robocup-small] DC Motor Type: success stories ??

Zachary Noyes znoyes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 22:34:37 EDT 2008

Hi robocup community,

Our Team, University of Rochester Robotics, would like to use DC, rather
than EC or flat motors. The reason being is that it is simpler to commutate
a DC motor: less to go wrong, less overhead, etc. The tradeoffs are a larger
size and less torque at that size. I am sure that all the teams have gone
through the motor search to try to find the best motor (size, torque, and
rpm's) for the best price (low). For anyone that has had overwhelming
success in this search, what did you use.

I am thinking about the Faulhabber 2224 motor: a commonly used robotics
motor. However, the only link that I can find in a search says $224. We are
looking more at the $ 50 - 80 range. Also, much of the Faulhabber website is
in German and finding a price quote from Faulhabber is a pain.

The other motor we had conciderred earlier was the Maxon EC 45 flat motor.
While small and powerful, it requires either a $50 extra in cost just to get
the chip that drives the motor or it takes a really smart engineer that can
make the circuitry himself. We have the resources for neither.

Your help is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you, the community, at
our first robo cup competition next year.

--Zach