[robocup-small] Steering for omni wheels: stepper motors: does it work?

Zachary Noyes znoyes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 07:13:14 EDT 2008

Hi robocup small league,

My name is Zach and I'm helping the University of Rochester start a robo cup
team. We are thinking of using the standard 4 omni wheels in a diamond
pattern. Has anyone used a separate steering mechanism for this? We were
thinking of stepper motors to steer in addition to the motors to drive the
wheels. The logic between having the wheels steer is that that would allow
uniform torque in all directions. Have any teams tried this out? Thanks.

--Zach