[robocup-small] Schedule for SSL Rules 2008

Gordon Wyeth wyeth at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Oct 1 04:47:10 EDT 2007

Hi All

One of the older proposals for resolving this issue (that no-one has mentioned
for a while) is to have a standard battery pack for all robots on all teams. An
appropriately limited energy source forces some serious changes in strategy:
+ Continuously running robots from one end of the field to the other at high
speed is no longer possible.
+ Dribbling the ball for long distances is costly in terms of energy,
particularly if back spin is being applied to the ball.
+ Indiscriminate use of high power kickers will drain energy.
+ Heavy large robots will use more energy, encouraging lighter, smarter robots.
+ Strategies for moving the ball without moving the robot (i.e. passing) become
much more attractive.

For your consideration

Gordon Wyeth
(Formerly from the RoboRoos)