[robocup-small] Field Size and Vision Systems

Tim Laue timlaue at tzi.de
Mon Oct 1 04:12:40 EDT 2007

Hi RoboCuppers,

here are my personal thoughts about increasing the field size and the
consequences for vision systems:

If we enlarge the field in 2008 and don't have a shared vision system
(it is already too late to have something like that for 2008, but this
is another topic we need to discuss soon), we must have a field size
that allows a reasonable operation with two cameras per team. If every
team needs to setup four cameras, we will directly run into an
organizational nightmare. Already the setup time for two cameras per
team is a major constraint for a competition schedule.

I'm quite convinced that a substantial increase of the field size
(something between 50% and 100%) may be handled by most team's vision
systems without any major difficulties. In the past, there have always
been some teams that used only one camera for the current field.
Additionally, the FU-Fighters showed that their vision system (without
any changes) is capable to work on a field which size has been doubled:
http://robocup.mi.fu-berlin.de/pmwiki/Main/Videos
(second video from top)

My team (B-Smart) uses the same cameras (AVT Marlin F46c). We tried to
cover the current field using only one camera and a wide angle lens. In
general, this setup still worked with our vision system. In particular,
our lens was a bit too wide (covering about 130% of the field size and
letting all objects become even smaller in the images...) and our
software failed in several situations of fast moving objects. But
nevertheless, playing on a much larger field using the same vision setup
is absolutely not unreachable.

What do you think? Did any other team try something like that?

Best regards,

Tim

Dipl.-Inf. Tim Laue                 Courier Mail Address:
FB3 Mathematik - Informatik         Cartesium 1.057
Universität Bremen                  FB3
Postfach 330 440                    Universität Bremen
D-28334 Bremen                      Enrique-Schmidt-Straße 5
Phone: (+49) 421-218-64209          D-28359 Bremen
Fax:   (+49) 421-218-9864209