[robocup-small] Schedule for SSL Rules 2008

Ulfert double04 at tzi.de
Wed Sep 12 01:49:32 EDT 2007

Hi everybody

We have discussed about major changes in SSL as well as you probably did and we
came up to the field size as well. The results of our internal discussion are:

Increasing the field size without increasing the kicking speed limit will force
better team play as the greater distances relatively slow down the ball. In
addition we expect a more tactical and team-orientated game concerning the
positions and the total movement distance of the robots.
Therefore we are pro the larger field and propose an enlargement by 2.25 to 3.24
(which means an enlargement of every side's length by 50-80%).

Just to mention we propose the enlargement of the defense-area as well (to a
total radius of 750mm) in order to force the defence to a more strategic game as
well. On the other hand we don't think a change of goal size or other distances
(e.g. the STOPPED-distance, the penalty mark) is necessary.

Although it is more of a minor change, we think about a change in limiting the
usage of dribbling devices. On a bigger field and with the experiences made
maybe a limitation by time is more useful than a limitation by distance (we
think about 3-5 seconds).

Another major change we discussed about is the usage of a shared vision system.
The motivation for this is given by the minor development in this area, the
chaos and installation time needed to build up the individual systems by every
single team at events and the costs coming up by bigger fields for which 4
cameras would be necessary.
As this would mean a very big change for nearly every team it is not realistic
for this to be established in this season. Another point is that such a system
would have to be developed first.
As there are a lot of vision systems around we propose that if someone wants to
develop such a shared system it should be done until next year and be presented
and published at next year's Robocup. The system should then be used at the
events after that.

The last point is an automatic referee system. We think about a system that
mainly analyses the game and "decides" which commands are given. This commands
would be supported by humans (e.g. for placing the ball at the right spot).
We don't think of a robot handling the ball as a referee, but maybe someone of
you has fun developing it? then we won't stop you ;)
This automatic referee system would have to be developed by someone (similar to
the shared vision), and we propose the same timetable.

That is what we are thinking of major changes, we are curious about your thoughts :)

greetings from Bremen, Germany
Ulfert, B-Smart