[robocup-small] Last-minute notes/reminders and Q&A

James Bruce bruce at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 29 06:44:00 EDT 2007

Hi SSL Teams,

Here are some final notes and answers to some questions.  Please read
this as you pack up and leave for the competition.  We look forward to
seeing you all in Atlanta!

==== FIELDS ====

Despite up to 14 teams possibly attending, we will have only two
fields this year.  The OC has tried to get this increased to 3 fields,
but no additional space could be accomodated.  Because there were only
11 teams registered up until recently, local planning was done
expecting that number of teams.  Please understand that we were trying
our best to improve the situation up until the last few days.  We ask
for your understanding in trying to support the additional teams.

As a result of having two fields, we could have up to 7 teams per
field this year (the previous maximum was 6 teams).  Thus we ask that
teams try to be courtious when positioning cameras, and not take up
any more space than is needed.  If you have smaller camera mounts,
please bring them and use them if possible, or lend them to other
teams in order to create more space for everyone.  Please try to work
out a placement knowing that no team can always get the exact position
they would like.  This is in particular true when setting up late
during the two-day setup.

The fields are not going to be raised above floor level this year, so
please plan your cable lengths appropriately.  The carpet being used
is similar in thickness to last year's carpet, although the fibers
should not be as easily removable.  I realize some teams would prefer
a thinner carpet, but please understand that it is not possible to
find a single surface that will please every team.

==== CONDITIONAL QUALIFICATION ====

Any conditionally qualified team may request to pass the conditional
qualification procedure up until the referee meeting on the evening of
the second day of setup (it will probably be at 6 or 7pm).  There will
be an official time slot announced at the competition, but if a team
feels it can qualify before that, feel free to request it if enough
TC/OC members are present.

==== MANDATORY RULES CHECK ====

As was done last year, rules compliance of robots from all teams will
be carried out after the referee's meeting on the second day of setup
(July 2).  If your robot does not comply with the rules, please take
care of that now or during setup, and do not wait for the meeting to
resolve any problems.  Note that proof of compliance can take the form
of physical evidence" "ball cannot possibly go more than 20% into the
robot's convect hull", or diagrams and equations: "our chip kicker
moves at an angle of 45 degrees, with a ball trajectory leaving the
kicker at 30 degrees, thus given the following equations the ball is
not more than 20% inside the robot's convex hull at any point in
time".

http://small-size.informatik.uni-bremen.de/rules:main
http://small-size.informatik.uni-bremen.de/rules/f180rules2007.html#law4

Any robots that do not comply with the rules must be made compliant
before they can participate in the competition.

==== SCHEDULE ====

http://www.robocup-us.org/schedule-league.html

We are following the schedule as listed in Tucker's email.  We may
have to run games a little bit after 6pm, but other than that we will
follow the official schedule.  Please note that teams must leave the
venue early on Friday, and that the "B" field will be removed, so
those teams cannot leave on Friday without removing their equipment
from the field area.  We are trying to keep the Friday schedule as
open as possible to accomodate teams to move or leave fields.

==== RADIO FREQUENCIES ====

If your team has changed its radio frequency, please email the OC
ASAP, or tell us as soon as you arrive at the venue.  There will be
some overlap of games and we need to plan appropriately to avoid
interference.

==== POSTERS ====

There will be some easel space for posters if your team brings one.
However, we won't have any foam or paper boards to support them on the
easels.  So if you would like to put up a poster, please buy a backing
board locally or bring one.

Best Regards,
   2007 SSL OC

P.S. Our program-generated random grouping is awaiting verification
and will be provided shortly.