[robocup-small] RoboCup 2007 Atlanta Newsletter #3: Registration Deadlines

Tucker Balch tucker.balch at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 28 09:35:20 EDT 2007

RoboCup 2007 Atlanta Newsletter #3

This issue is all about registration.  In this issue:

o Registration deadlines
o Registration overview
o Housing and meal plans
o Hotels and transportation
o Payment problems and options

Registration deadline extended to April 11

Important: On campus housing is limited and it is available
on a first come basis.  The deadline for on campus housing
registration is April 11, 2007.  We cannot promise
availability of on campus housing after that date.

We have extended the deadline for early registration for
league participation and the Symposium to April 11th as well.
Please register as soon as possible.

Registration overview

Registration is set up in an "a la carte" fashion so that
participants can register only the components of the event
they are interested in.  So for example, a robot team with
one faculty member and two students would register as
follows:

         Team Registration: $550
         Faculty Registration: $407
         2 x Student Registration: $242 + $242
         Total: $1441

Housing and meals are also available (see below).

Housing and meal plans

We are excited to offer housing for faculty and students on
the Georgia Tech campus.  The primary advantages of on
campus housing include low cost, location adjacent to the
main venue,  and the spirit of RoboCup community we expect
with everyone living together.

Two types of housing are available: Traditional dorm rooms
and apartments. Both types of housing include
air-conditioning, wired Internet and a telephone connection.

Traditional dorm rooms include two beds and two desks. A
shared bathroom is available down the hall.

Apartments provide a roomy and relaxed environment. They
include four private bedrooms (one person each) that adjoin
a shared livingroom and kitchen. There are two bathrooms in
each apartment.

See: http://georgiarobotics.com/robocup/housing/index.html

American-style meal plans are also available in a modern
dining hall adjacent to campus housing.  Many food options
are available, including custom grilled food, pizza, and
cafeteria-style selections.

See: http://georgiarobotics.dndchosting.com/robocup/meals/index.html

Hotels and transportation

A special shuttle bus service has been set up to transport
participants from campus housing and nearby hotels to all of
the venues.

We have reserved blocks of rooms in nearby hotels.  Three of
the recommended hotels (Georgian Terrace, Indigo, Georgia
Tech Hotel) are on the shuttle bus route.

When you call one of these hotels to make a reservation,
please let them know that you want the RoboCup rate.  To see
the list of recommended hotels, visit:

http://www.robocup-us.org/lodging.html

Other hotels are available nearby, but we do not recommend
them.

Payment problems and options

Several hundred attendees have successfully registered using
our process through PayPal.  However, some people are having
trouble.  We are sorry to hear about the difficulties.  The
key difficulty seems to be that in some countries, PayPal
sets a low maximum purchase amount for non-members.  (The
limit in the US is $2000).  Here are suggested work arounds:

         1. Divide your registration into several smaller
                 purchases.

         2. Become a PayPal member.  We realize this is not
                 desireable for some, but it does lift the
                 purchasing limit.

As an additional option, teams can request an invoice from
us.  The invoice can then be paid by credit card or wire
transfer.  For information on this process, go here:

http://www.georgiarobotics.com/robocup/invoice-wire-instructions.html

We are available to answer any questions by email.