[robocup-small] Proposal for energy budget

Patrick Dingle pdingle at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 11:38:28 EDT 2005

Look at these Nerf foam balls:

http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.viewproduct/product_id.12866/dn/nerf/default.cfm

These are foam balls but I think they would work pretty well for SSL. I
think they are more representative of real soccer for several reasons:
1. They would drastically reduce the speed that teams can kick them at. They
are foam, so some energy will be absorbed within the ball (like in real
soccer). Golf balls are designed specifically such that very little energy
is absorbed within the ball!!
2. Air drag -- like in real soccer -- becomes significant.
3. "Dribbling" would become impossible... The foam balls have too much
friction with the ground surface.
4. If these are the balls I used in my Nerf weapons when I was younger, then
they are still very hard foam and would lead to some exciting games.

Something to look at and think about for future years.

Patrick Dingle
Cornell Big Red '03 '04