[robocup-small] Proposal for energy budget

Marian Weirich mweirich at tzi.de
Tue Sep 13 16:54:01 EDT 2005

Hi,

here are just some of my ideas and thoughts, nothing from the complete
B-Smart team.

Maybe we should think about how to incorporate limitations without
having to change the technical specifications of the robots, but with
anything official to the competition.
To have slower kicks we could consider using a different ball.
To make the robots slower is much more difficult.
When considering the competition equipment, there's just the carpet,
which could be changed to something with more wheel slippage, but I
don't really think that this would be good.

One idea is, to limit the number of robots per team and the numbers of
changes per game (it's done so in rugby games, but I don't know how it
is with soccer).
Maybe a team could have 5 robots on the field, 2 robots to change and
the maximum number of changes is limited to 3.  Then we should not allow
changing batteries during a game (not even in halftime).

Another point to make some limit of possible energy usage in a game is
to have longer games, maybe have 20 minutes a half, instead of 10.
Having a longer game (40 minutes), without changing batteries during
half time, should force most teams to consider saving energy with their
robots, because most of the battery sets won't last 40 minutes on full
speed.

Regards,
Marian Weirich