[robocup-small] Proposal for energy budget

Joerg Kurlbaum jkur at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Tue Sep 13 05:19:26 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:05:14AM +0800, Beng Kiat Ng wrote:
> First of all. I believe having an energy budget make the game more
> interesting.

I'm all for that. Energy budget is a nice idea.

> My proposal is based on a quick calculation based on my robot, which is
> among the lightest in the league.
> My robot weight is 1.45kg. It's battery supply comprises 5 cell
> Li-Polymer1050mAh in series. Currently, our robot is able to play about 35
> minutes continuously. 5 cell of Li-polymer is equivalent to 15 cells Ni-Mh.
> Currently, AAA cells Ni-Mh is about 1000mAh in capacity. My proposal is to
> restrict each robot to about 8 (maybe less, 6) cells of AAA Ni-Mh
> batteries. THis is based on the fact that most robots are heavier than 1.5
> kg and thus would not have enough energy to run top speed for 20 minutes.
> Moreover, Ni-Mh batteries would not be able to source very high current,
> and thus limit the top speed indirectly.

I don't fully understand your proposal. Do you mean we all need to have
exactly the same batteries (same brand, etc)? If not, how do you
overcome the problem of different capacities, different maximum current
etc.? And even with same brand at all teams, how do you include the age
of a battery?
I thought most people agreed that energy budget based on
physical/electrical quantities wouldn't really be fair, since hardware
may differ.

But even with virtual energy budget it's difficult to have fair games.
In (2D) simulation league there is actually something like a energy
budget, called stamina, but it works different. A player can't run all
over the field because if he tries to run the server just let him get
forward in respective to his stamina. If a player is "exhausted" he gets
slower on the way. And after a time he can run again.
But with a virtual energy budget in Small-Size-League there is no
penalisation for the robots, since the referee can't really influence
the real speed of the robots. The ref could only stop the game and that
is not what we want.

I think we need still some more ideas, how to incorporate some
limitations. (Ball, Robot Speed, FIeld Size, whatever..)

Jörg Kurlbaum / B-Smart

--
Jörg Kurlbaum
Email: jkur at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Universität Bremen (Germany)
GPG-ID: CAC40EA9 Fingerprint: D4D4 9F5E D3C7 86B2 0D7F 67F9 9B22 7396 CAC4 0EA9