[robocup-small] Re: Looking ahead to RoboCup 2006

Tadashi Naruse naruse at ist.aichi-pu.ac.jp
Thu Sep 1 07:24:58 EDT 2005

Hi,

These are my comments, not team’s comments.

On the 2006 rules

-          Rule changes are necessary but they should be divided into major
changes and miner changes. Major changes should be applied the year after
next.

-          I think there were many violations of the 50 cm travel rule (Law
9, decision 1) this year. Judging from the challenge event 1 of this year, a
robot is required high level control to overcome this rule, so that this
rule should be hold next year. However, it is difficult for the referee to
judge whether the robot really violate or not. A rule easy to judge is
required.

General comments

-          I think mid-size and small-size leagues will be unified near
future. Discussion beyond leagues is necessary.

-          Challenge events are important. Try the new technologies in the
challenge events, and then build in the competition (rules).

-          Interaction (competition) between robots and human beings can be
possible in the SSL, for example, can we have a competition of 5 robots vs.
2 men next year?

-          Arms race should be avoided. To do so, suitable restrictions are
accepted. Current restriction : dimension of the robot, number of robots, …
. Power restriction is one of possible restriction as BengKiat pointed out.
I think a restriction to promote the AI research such as strategy and
cooperation between robots is allowed. For example, robot should not move
say 3 m/sec, since, in that case, one robot may get a goal easily.

Tadashi Naruse

CMRoboDragons