[robocup-small] Rule changes for 2005

Raul E. Torres rtorres at ece.uprm.edu
Tue Nov 23 09:21:45 EST 2004

Hello everyone:

Although our team have not participated yet, we will like to comment on
the rules.  Please see the inserts.

>Change 1:
>
>The dribbling distance will be set at 500mm for both active and passive
>dribblers.

It makes sense to us to allowed only horizontal dribblers with no
limitation in distance, but to disallow battery replacement.  Any time
the dribbler will be on, you are discharging the battery.  Same apply to
travelled distance.  (Of course, we are assuming that match time will be
increased.)  If as a result, someone developed a new battery or power
source to stand long period of time,  in my opinion that team will be
overcoming the biggest limitation in mobile robotics.  As a bonus, with
horizontal dribblers allow, out of bounds should be reduced.

>Change 2:
>
>For all restarts where the ball has gone out of bounds and the rules
>state the ball is too be placed ON a boundary line or within 10cm of a
>boundary line, the ball will be instead moved towards the middle of the
>field to an imaginary line that is 10cm any of the boundary lines that
>the ball is within the 10cm wall.  Needs rewording but I think it makes
>sense.

The sloped field proposed by Raul Rojas along with the proposed rules
makes more sense to us.  Otherwise, we go along with the change.

>Change 3:
>
>The referee box will send a neutral restart command 10 seconds after all
>restarts.

OK.

>Change 4:
>
>No more bluetooth is allowed in the small-size league, and all other RF
>decisions will be left to the OC based on local conditions.

OK.

>Change 5:
>
>Corner kicks will follow with change 3.

OK.

>Change 6:
>
>The EC/OC/TC will decide upon ALL yellows, blues, greens, cyans, and
>pinks allowed to be used by robots before the competition and will make
>enough of these colors available at the competition for each team to
>field 6 robots.

Good illumination is more important to us than the colors themselves.

>Change 7:
>
>We will have 6 robots per team

We prefer 5 robots.

>Change 8:
>
>The time of game will include 12 minute halfs, 5 minute half time
>breaks, each team retains its color for the duration of the match and
>colors are decided along with the referee 1 hour before the match.

OK.

>Change 9:
>
>There will be no chip kicks allowed during any restart.  Chip kicks (of
>any height) will be allowed during all other situations.

We really don't see the point.  It sould be a challenge to the goalie
design (and defense algorithm) to deal with aerial shoots.  Maybe the
goal area can be improved to make it more difficult to score from a chip
kick.  On the other hand, any team kicking the ball outside the
protecting walls of the field, should be disqualified for security hazard.

Raul E. Torres
RUMBOTS
University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez