AW: AW: [robocup-small] intelligent wall

Beng Kiat Ng nbk at np.edu.sg
Wed Nov 17 20:24:34 EST 2004

Raul!

What happened last year cannot be changed. As for the interpretation next
year, I'll leave it to Sean to make a statement.

Enlarging the defense circle ( I don't really like this idea myself as the
current one seems to work fine) would not give an advantage to chip kicker.
On the whole, the goalie will have a harder time, chip kicker or not.

As for local crowding of space, it should become less of a problem if
passing is more common. Basically, it's very dangerous to crowd around the
opponent with a ball if the opponent robot is able to pass competently. The
team that wants to do passing would also not want to crowd together.

One solution to crowding of defense area is to limit the number of robots
the defending team can have in it's half. I believe it will work but I
really don't like this idea myself as it's an extra rule to enforce.

Any other teams against 6 robots? Most(all?) teams that had spoken
(written) so far are against this idea. The TC will seriuosly reconsider
this proposal.

Regards
BengKiat

                      "Raul Rojas"
                      <rojas at inf.fu-be         To:      "'Beng Kiat Ng'" <nbk at np.edu.sg>
                      rlin.de>                 cc:
                                               Subject: AW: AW: [robocup-small]  intelligent wall
                      17/11/04 06:59
                      PM

Hi Beng-Kiat,

>1) Regarding the dribbling rule, I have personally clarified with Mike
before the Lisbon
> competition. So I pretty sure my interpretation is right.

then we had actually two different interpretations in Lisbon. In our
group, we allowed
motors with motor dribbler to turn off the dribbler and push the ball.
We had even
discussions about the dribbler having been turned off or not, before a
robot moved
further (that's why a white LED on front of the robot, which signals
when the dribbler is on, would be a big help for the referee).

>2) Crowding of defense area? We can consider increasing the defense
area size.

Then you give more space to the chip kickers and the horrified goalie is
sitting
there alone. But more seriously: I just realized this year that there is

a) global crowded-ness (total of number of robots in the field)
b) local crowded-ness (number of robots in a small region of the field)

The larger field solves problem (a) but not problem (b). There were
times in Lisbon
where 8 robots were standing on one square meter or less of the field.
Put two more robots
in, and (a) is still manageable, but (b) is much higher (one more field
player is 25%
more field players).

Raul Rojas
Fu Fighters Team