[robocup-nao] Fwd: [aldebaran] Towards a standard simulator for RoboCup

Okan Aşık asik.okan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 12:10:54 EST 2014

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tully Foote <tfoote at osrfoundation.org>
Date: 2014-10-31 2:07 GMT+02:00
Subject: [aldebaran] Towards a standard simulator for RoboCup
To: ros-sig-aldebaran at googlegroups.com
Cc: Carlos Agüero <caguero at osrfoundation.org>

Hi All,

With the recent work toward simulating the Nao I’d like to start a thread
about building up a standard implementation that can support a few of the
RoboCup leagues. In particular I’d like to suggest that we work toward
providing a standard simulation which the RoboCup SPL can practice in, and
will support the RoboCup 3D Simulation League.

At OSRF we’ve been prototyping a little bit in conjunction with some of the
RoboCup teams to support RoboCup in Gazebo. You can find the repository
here: https://github.com/osrf/robocup_3d_simulation In this repository we
have proof of concept replicating the game play and match mechanisms for 3D
Simulation League and multiple Nao robots being simulated. This is
implemented as Gazebo plugins that provide a ROS API for the Game
Controller as well as a ROS API for each robot.

Looking forward what we’ve done is just a prototype. It would be great to
take this and develop some standard APIs, such as the Game API, Robot API,
and a way to launch a team for a tournament.

Building on these APIs we could create a very simple reference
implementation of the RoboCup leagues as both an example to follow for new
teams as well as a test opponent for matches.

As part of this we would hope that we can also create a standard API for
walking engines for their inputs and outputs. As well as a simple reference
implementation for testing.

With these capabilities we hope that we can improve the RoboCup developer
experience and facilitate efficient tournaments. And if all the parts come
together a continuous online tournament server could be setup to allow
continuous challenge testing.

Reviewing our current work and this vision we see the below tasks will be
necessary. Please take a look and give some feedback. If you’re interested
in any parts please speak up. For this to be sustainable it will need to be
a community effort. Below is just my quick suggestion of where things might
go. If you have other suggestions or feedback it would be great to hear
that.

Tully + Carlos

Integrate Aldebaran robot plugin. Provide two modes, one SPL
simulation(with real sensors) two 3D Simulation(with abstracted perception)

Develop Standard APIs for: (aka write REPs)

Walking Controller

Robot API

Game API

Launching a team: clearly defined entry points for automated testing.

Develop open source walking controller reference implementation

Develop a reference implementation team which can demonstrate playing. And
be a test opponent.

Evaluate performance of the system (aka can we support close to real time?)
Physics tweaks for the models

Evaluate Nao model. Standing still sometimes is not stable. (debug
controller vs simulation jitter)

Write unit tests for everything

Create Tutorials:

How to use the game controller API (learn the Game Controller API).

How to control a robot in the game. (learn the Robot API)

How to get sensor information from a Robot (part 2 robot API)
How to write a Competition Team(Setup standard entry points and release)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ros-sig-aldebaran/CAM7qi7WLgcRVATkFsw_aB%3DsMY2tEE3dg6wKesa8iYkvHxE3Cdg%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ros-sig-aldebaran/CAM7qi7WLgcRVATkFsw_aB%3DsMY2tEE3dg6wKesa8iYkvHxE3Cdg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.