[robocup-nao] Dissertation: Stochastic filtering on mobile devices in complex dynamic environments

Stefan Tasse stefan.tasse at tu-dortmund.de
Sun Jul 6 12:47:36 EDT 2014

Hi everybody,

a friend reminded me that I forgot to send this mail so far, so better
late than never:

I recently finished my PhD thesis and I would like to share it. I know
most of you might stop reading if I copy&paste my abstract, so I will
keep it even shorter:   ;-)
The dissertation describes some cool ways to efficiently handle sparse
and noisy sensor data for reliable localization of robots and tracking
of dynamic elements in their environment. It involves RoboCup as well as
the application of the same concepts to other scenarios like
intra-logistics and indoor smart phone localization. Building a
localization system is easy, but doing it the right way will improve a
lot in terms of accuracy and robustness. I highlight some of the things
which are really worth thinking about when doing this, and these are not
necessarily the ones you find the most publications about when googling
"Kalmen filter".

The thesis can be downloaded for free at the TU Dortmund website:
http://hdl.handle.net/2003/33007

For those who don't know me:
I have been involved in RoboCup since 2005, in the 4LL, HL und mostly
the SPL. I naturally did some research in different robotics areas
(biped walking, machine learning, etc), but my focus is on sensor
processing and stochastic estimation.

Best regards,
Stefan Tasse