[robocup-nao] Team Edinferno announce the use of B-Human Code Release

Aris Valtazanos A.Valtazanos at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue May 8 08:47:54 EDT 2012

Dear all,

We, Team Edinferno, announce the use of the B-Human 2011 Code Release as
part of our framework for RoboCup 2012. Our main modifications and
contributions are listed as follows:

- Porting the original code release, which was developed for NAO v3.x,
to the new NAO v4.0, for use with NaoQi v1.12.3 (current release). This
required the reconfiguration of several low-level components of the
original framework, mostly related to networking and system
infrastructure, which have changed as a result of the new processor of
the robots.

- Enabling faster switching between the two cameras of the robot, as
each camera now has its own dedicated driver. We are also investigating
potential applications of simultaneous use of the two cameras, which was
previously not possible.

- Implementing localisation in the presence of similarly coloured
goalposts. Our implementation relies on a combination of team-level
information sharing, and use of salient features in the background.

- Development of primitive full-body motions (kicks, goalkeeper dives).
We have implemented a tool for converting motion sequences generated
through NaoQi's ALMotion module to the B-Human special action format.

- Individual role and team behaviour development. For individual roles,
a key focus has been on the behaviour of the goalkeeper, aiming to
define a robust state engine. We are also using a special role for a
field player who will be responsible for gathering and sharing
information on visual features, in order to help resolve ambiguities in
localisation. At the level of team behaviours, we are developing
protocols for dynamic role assignment (striker, defender) and strategic
position selection.

We thank B-Human for their code release and continuing contributions to
the Standard Platform League and we hope to see everyone in Mexico!

Cheers,
Aris

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.