[robocup-nao] RoboCup Federation: Call for Project Proposals for Promoting RoboCup

April Foster april.robocup at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 14:14:24 EST 2011

RoboCup Federation

        CALL FOR PROJECT PROPOSALS FOR PROMOTING ROBOCUP

       Deadline for proposals: *** December 31, 2011 ***

The RoboCup Federation is pleased to issue this call for
proposals to fund community driven efforts in 2012 to benefit
our RoboCup Community (i.e. "from RoboCuppers for RoboCuppers").

The funding will be in the range of US$1K to US$5K and the proposed
activities must be completed by the end of 2012.
We expect to assign a total of up to US$50K as the total to all
the awards selected.

The list of examples given below in (i) - (iii) is absolutely
not intended to be exhaustive. We strongly encourage you to consider
innovative ways in which the goals set out below can be achieved.

We prefer not to fund activities where alternative sources of
funding are readily available.

### Goals of funding and activities considered for funding ###

In providing this funding we aim at supporting three types
of activities, namely:
(i) to benefit the infrastructure of our RoboCup events,
(ii) to contribute to strongly RoboCup-focused research efforts
         based on exchange of people,
(iii) to promote the education on specific RoboCup topics.

### Type of activities to be supported ###

(i) INFRASTRUCTURE

This includes developments of infrastructure (usually software
or hardware) to support significant advancements of the RoboCup
leagues and of the RoboCup community which are difficult
to achieve otherwise.

Examples of proposals under this category are (but not limited to)
implementation of:

- Infrastructure for sharing open source code and other
design best practices
- Game controllers
- Simulator extensions
- Middleware to support mixed teams
- Automated referees
- Automated game commentators, e.g., for facebook and/or tweeter
- Defining and mining a RoboCup social network
- Creating a database of job positions
- Development of open software and/or hardware platforms

Requests to buy hardware for the competition infrastructure
will not be accepted within this call and would be handled
outside the scope of this call.

(ii) EXCHANGE

This includes exchange of team members to promote interchange
and integration of research from different sources.

Examples of proposals under this category are (but not limited to):

- Student exchange among RoboCup Teams (not applicable to Junior students)
- Faculty exchange among RoboCup Teams
- RoboCup camp/workshop attendance
- Conference attendance for presentation of RoboCup papers

(iii) EDUCATION

This includes support of RoboCup events, excluding competitions.

Examples of proposals under this category are (but not limited to):

- RoboCup camps
- RoboCup workshops (standalone or in connection with other
conferences or events)
- Resources for the academic community and/or general public
         to help them understand the purpose and scientific
         as well as technological achievements of RoboCup

### Application procedure ###

The applicants must be either Team Leaders (from 2010-2011),
Members of League Technical Committees, Execs, or Trustees.
For Junior leagues, only Members of League Technical Committees,
Execs or Trustees can submit applications for activities
of type (i) and (iii) only.

Multiple, including collaborative, applications for the same goal
are possible (although not encouraged).
In this case, each application must be submitted separately,
but it should clearly indicate any relationship with other applications.

A proposal should address the following topics:

* What? Describe exactly the technical content of the proposal
   and what activity funding is requested for.
   Also provide any contextual information that you think is relevant.

* How Much? A budget, in US$, which:
   clearly states the amount requested;
   provides details of the use of requested funds.

* Why? Statement of the objectives of the activity and
   brief justification for the requested funding;
   note that priority will be given to activities for which
   no alternative funds are available.

* Who? Describe who will benefit from the proposed activity
   and the expected impact on the RoboCup Community and
   how the expected impact can be evaluated.

* When? Dates of the proposed activity, and date by which funding
   would be needed.

* Where? Location of the proposed activity.

* Contact details. Name, affiliation, contact details for the
   responsible party (postal address, email, telephone number, fax),
   web address of event if available.

Proposals should under no circumstances exceed more than two pages
in total.

Each application must include a curriculum vitae of the applicant
(including a publication list) as appendix of up to two more pages.

Proposals should be submitted in PDF via the EasyChair web
review system at the following URL:
         https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ppprobocup2012

### Evaluation of the proposals ###

The proposal will be evaluated by a specific committee of the Trustees
of the RoboCup Federation according to the following criteria:

- Quality of the proposal (technical content and presentation)
- Likely level of impact on for the RoboCup Community
- Scientific merit of the applicant
- Adequacy of resources and budget, cost effectiveness/value for money.

In case of need, the committee may ask for proposal evaluators from within
or external to our community. The outcome of the evaluation will be
communicated via email to the address specified in the application by
*** January 23, 2012 ***.

The decision of the committee with respect to funding decisions
is final, and we will not enter into any correspondence with
respect to unsuccessful proposals.

### Award of the support ###

Given the diversity of our community, with different financial constraints
for each country and institution, we envision providing the financial
support in one of three forms:

a) check reimbursement,
b) voucher for registration fees at RoboCup,
c) cash reimbursement at the RoboCup event.

The timing for awarding of the support will be set as a function of the
needs of the activity. In general, it will be based on the completion of
the activity, the presentation of a summary report, and original receipts,
as applicable.