[robocup-nao] Open Challenge

Mary-Anne Williams maryanne at cs.stanford.edu
Sat May 22 20:31:55 EDT 2010

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for the reminder and the very welcome extension - we had not
noticed the condition that requires teams to tell the Technical Committee of
their plans. Looks like we were not the only team! :-) So your email has
already served a useful purpose by focusing everyone's attention on the
challenges, and no doubt teams will start thinking about them more
seriously, if they haven't already.

The idea of providing an abstract is a good one, but even 3 weeks in advance
is perhaps too much particularly for new teams.

We are a new team we have our robots for less than two months and still do
not have the uniforms yet. We are struggling to build a player from scratch,
we have many ideas for the Open Challenge but what we actually do on the day
is dependent on the systems we get working by the competition. We are a team
across two continents and the first time we will be together is at the
competition and that will be the first opportunity to test and compare our
ideas, see them in action, and decide which one fulfills the requirements
and criteria best.

Obviously encouraging teams to develop their open challenges before the comp
is a very good idea, however how it is done should not disadvantage or
advantage teams.

So I have two questions:

1. How bound will teams be to their description?
2. Will the abstracts be circulated to all participating teams or will only
the teams with Technical Committee members have access to them?

The Challenge 2010 document appears to be silent on both issues.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at RoboCup!

Cheerio,
Mary-Anne.

------
Professor Mary-Anne Williams
Director, Innovation and Enterprise Research Laboratory
Center for Quantum Computation and Intelligent Systems
University of Technology, Sydney
NSW 2007 Australia
http://innovation.it.uts.edu.au/Mary-Anne