[robocup-nao] RoboCup Soccer SPL Selection Process and Questions

Rick Middleton Richard.Middleton at nuim.ie
Wed Jan 6 23:12:09 EST 2010

Dear SPL Team Leaders and Members

A number of teams have asked for specific feedback on their unsuccessful
application to the 2010 RoboCup Soccer SPL competition. We are not in a
position to give individual teams specific feedback on their
applications (for reasons which I hope are clear from discussions later
in this email). However, we are happy to describe the process used to
arrive at the decisions.

A total of 32 applications were received for the 24 places advertised in
the call for submissions. There has been recent discussion on the
possibility of expanding to 32, but overall, it was our view that this
was too large an expansion at this point in time.

Within the 24 slots, the TC had previously decided that teams from 2009
SPL would prequalify if they both:
(i) Submitted a team report from 2009 together with a statement of their
intention to participate;
and
(ii) They were either (a) in the top 8 in the competition in 2009; or
(b) 2009 was their first year in the Nao competition.

This meant that in fact, 15 teams were pre-qualified, and therefore, the
competition for remaining spots was tough (17 teams competing for 9
spots). In addition, it should be noted that the interpretation of
(ii)(b) means that in the future, we can expect significantly less teams
to pre-qualify.

Members of the TC who were members of teams not pre-qualified were
excluded at this point of the decision process. The remaining members
discussed, and individually ranked the remaining 17 teams. In their
rankings a variety of factors were considered including (in no
particular order):
* perceived quality of the research group
* perceived ability to put together a highly competitive entry to 2010
* balance of including new teams to add fresh impetus to the
competition, together with including teams with a strong history of
competing in SPL/4LL
* some attention was paid to geographic distribution of teams and to
give some preference to teams without other RoboCup activity
* for teams that have competed before, past performance in both
challenges and/or competitions was considered

Based on the rankings, and some further discussions of teams 'near the
cut off point', the subgroup of the TC made a final decision.

It is clear to us that there are a number of teams with some very strong
features to their applications who missed out this year which is of
course regrettable, but under the circumstances this seems inevitable.

In terms of other questions that may be relevant that have been asked
concerning SPL:

Q1: Are teams that have not qualified for the soccer competition able to
compete in local opens?

Reply: We would definitely support this. Participation in local open
competitions helps teams improve their performance, and demonstrates a
commitment to RoboCup/SPL despite the disappointment of missing the
international competition in this instance.
* The German Open (http://www.robocup-german-open.de/) is to be held in
Magdeburg, 15-18 April this year. Applications are due in by 15 January.
* US Open: Eric Chown (echown at bowdoin.edu) mentioned that there have
been discussions of a US open, and it seems quite possible that one will
be held early April this year.
* There are often other open competitions (for example: I have heard a
call for an Iran open this year; last year there was a Japan open).

Q2: Are teams that have not qualified for the soccer competition able to
compete in Singapore for the Technical Challenges?

Reply: Sorry, no final answer to this as yet, but subject to OC approval
(that is, there being sufficient space etc. to support this), we would
be in favour of this.

Q3: Are teams that have not qualified for the soccer competition able to
access: (i) Nao purchases/upgrades at the RoboCup rate; (ii) The Nao
RoboCup workshop (to be held early Feb '10 in Paris).

Reply: Clearly the main issues here are commercial/logistics issues and
are for Aldebaran to decide. If Aldebaran are able to make the required
extensions to the arrangements, the TC would be supportive.

Yours sincerely

Rick Middleton
(on behalf of the SPL Technical Committee)