[robocup-nao] ball decision for 2010

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Dec 12 06:11:34 EST 2009

Hi Tekin,

As you probably know, the RoboCup Humanoid KidSize League uses
an orange standard tennis ball.

To my (limited) knowledge, the standard data for tennis balls are
- diameter: between 6.35 und 6.67 cm
- weight: between 56.7 und 58.5 g

The data you mention for an orange street hockey ball
(65mm in diameter and 55g weight) matches the
above data of an orange tennis ball pretty well.

Therefore I was wondering about the following:

1) Why did you select a hockey and not a tennis ball
 	as it is used in the Humanoid KidSize League?

2) Did you compare the performance of the hockey ball
 	with a tennis ball on a RoboCup soccer field?
 	And, if so, what were the results?

 	(Besides size and weight, tennis balls must satisfy certain
 	back-bouncing abilities from the ground and will probably
 	behave differently than hockey balls in robot soccer.)

3) If teams order a standard orange street hockey ball from
 	a store which does not give the precise diameter
 	and weight of the ball, which range of variation
 	in size and weight must be expected?

 	From a quick internet search it seems that there
 	is more variation in street hockey balls than
 	in tennis balls. I found: diameter 6.35-7cm, weight: up to 85g.

 	A weight difference between 55g and 85g can make
 	an enormous difference to the robot performance (e.g.
 	when kicking the ball)!

 	In the Standard Platform League where only software should count
 	I would expect also a standard ball that teams can, e.g.,
 	remotely participate in local RoboCup Open competitions.
 	With a large variation in ball weight, this will be difficult.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Best regards,
Oskar