[robocup-nao] Nao's in the carry-on luggage

Alexander Buckley albuckley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:46:55 EDT 2009

Hi

Last year I taped up my Nao into the 'sitting Buddha' position and then
wrapped it in one layer of bubble wrap and carried it in my hands from our
lab the the competition. Going there and back it was 4 flights, two European
airports and twice in China. I had to pass through many security gates in
each airport and put it through the Xray machine each time. In almost every
encounter with security I found they were amazed to see sych a thing more
than anything else. Anytime one passes through these gates there is a
technician operating the Xray machine that should have some sense of
electronics and when he gives the nod to say it is indeed a robot upon Xray
inspection, everyone is happy and smiling. The encounter usually amounts to:
"What's that?",  "A robot",  "What does it do?", "It plays football", "..?..
As if..",  "No seriously, it plays football :)".  The only single opposition
I faced was when returning from China, some security girl at one of the
final security layers told me I could not get on a plane with it, it has to
go in the cargo hold. I told her it was a 10,000 euro prototype robot used
to play football in the robot Olympics and that there is no chance in hell
it is leaving my sight. She insisted with a Cheshire smile and all the
confidence you would expect from China's security that these are the rules
and I will have to put it underneath the plane. I made the point that she is
simply making that up, they have no such rule, I am not turning it over to
their "throwers" and that she is going to have to get her boss. She turned a
little green when I mentioned her superior and make another quite weak
attempt to maintain her position and I just had to give her one more "you
can't just make up rules on the spot, go and get your boss".   The boss man
quickly appeared, assessed the situation, got the "yes it is nothing more
than a robot" from the Xray machine jockey and that was it. He ushered me on
without a hint of reservation.

I'd also like to add not a single person requested the Carnet I needlessly
had with me.
I really think the simple wow factor of a retail quality humanoid robot
dilutes any encounter with 'the man'.

My advice is, if anyone starts trying to make waves for you about any issue,
just keep saying Robot Olympics until their rolling out the red carpet.

Alex

Alexander Buckley

58 Rail Park
Maynooth