[robocup-nao] A Few Question about the Rules

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Wed May 27 06:40:14 EDT 2009

> 	1. Should the robots have stickers with their numbers on them?
> Where do we obtain these stickers?
>

> Yes, they should and the individual robot number stickers will be
> obtained at the competition site. See Section 2.1 in the rule book.

Since there were two different answers to this question: the organizers will
provide robot numbers to the teams. However, they will not provide an
unlimited number of stickers to the teams, so please be careful with them.

> 	10. The rules state that the ball may not be kicked into the goal
> directly from the kick-off position; it must first leave the center
> circle, and only from there may it be kicked and a goal scored. Some of
> the videos we have watched, however, appear to contradict this rule; a
> ball is gently shoved, remaining in the center circle, and then it is
> kicked directly into the goal. Is this a new rule? Or have we
> misinterpreted the rules?
>
> The kick-off related rules are revised after the local competitions,
> therefore, those videos may not be compatible with the current rules.

Actually, they mostly are. The defending team is allowed scoring a goal from
within the center circle, the attacking team is not (before the ball left
the center circle at least once). However, the new rules allow the attacking
team to be much closer to ball than the defending team. So the attacking
team can expect that their robot will be the first at the ball, so it can,
e.g., pass it to a teammate outside the center circle, before any defending
robot can interfere (if the attacking team is not too slow).

Cheers,

Thomas

on behalf of the SPL Technical Committee