[robocup-nao] A Few Question about the Rules

Elad Alon elad.alon at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:09:38 EDT 2009

Hello,

I've got a few questions about the rules:

1. Should the robots have stickers with their numbers on them? Where do we
obtain these stickers?

2. What are those jersies the rules-file keeps mentioning? The stickers?

3. If, during a penalty kick, the goalie obtains posession of the ball, what
may it do with it? Can it keep it for more than 5 seconds, in that case? Can
it send it out of bounds? Anything similar it can do to prevent the opponent
robot from using the remaining 60 seconds to score a goal?

4. Regarding the manual issuing of penalties via the chest button - is it
mandatory to support that, or is it something we only need to implement if
we don't have proper connection to the game controller?

5. Regarding the manual configuration of the robots (their team color, etc.)
- is it mandatory, or is it just a way to work with the robot if networking
doesn't work? I mean, could we SSH to (non-yet-in-play) robots and set their
robot-number and team-color, then let them enter the game, or must we
support the setting of these properties via the button and bumpers?

6. What rules govern manual placement? Pick-ups? Do we get a limited amount
of these? Are we penalized for them in any way?

7. The (old) game controller deals with a team number. Are we given that
number before the competition begins, and use it as our team number
throughout RoboCup? Or at least long enough before a match begins that we
can SSH to the robots and configure them?

8. After issuing a request for pickup, and being granted it, may we SSH to
the picked up robot and interact with it, or is only manual interaction
permissible? The rules mention that wireless devices are prohibited in the
vicinity of the field during the match. What then can we do with a robot
other than press its button? May we only connect to it via ethernet? Perhaps
not even that?

9. Am I correct in understand that defensive players may start moving
towards the ball as soon as the game state is changed to "play", and that
they need not wait until an attacking player actually touches the ball for
the first time?

10. The rules state that the ball may not be kicked into the goal directly
from the kick-off position; it must first leave the center circle, and only
from there may it be kicked and a goal scored. Some of the videos we have
watched, however, appear to contradict this rule; a ball is gently shoved,
remaining in the center circle, and then it is kicked directly into the
goal. Is this a new rule? Or have we misinterpreted the rules?

11. I believe I know the answer to this, but I want to be 100% sure. As long
as they don't leave the carpeted area, may the robots leave the area of
play? That is to say, may they step on and over the sidelines? (For example,
when positioning

Thanks,
Elad Alon