[robocup-nao] SPL Rules, especially Pushing

Michael Quinlan mquinlan at cs.utexas.edu
Thu May 7 11:14:34 EDT 2009

Hi Stefan,
  This exact discussion is also happening on the TC, as it was evident
to all that the German and US opens were refereed differently. I think
the true answer lies somewhere in the middle.

  In hindsight we probably allowed a little too much pushing at the US
Open, in particular some pushing in the back that should have been
called. However, I agree that we should not be pre-empting pushing call.
One key difference was at the US Open, if it was not clear who was
pushing and the contact was reasonably light then we let both robots
stay on the field even if they both eventually fell over, I prefer this
then penalising both robots.

   We are trying to formailse the interpretation of the rules now, so we
are open to suggestions (like this email) on the direction we should go.
I've also thought about putting together a video on different pushing
scenarios,  and how they should be called, it may be easier to get
league-wide consistent interpretation from a video then from text.

Michael