[robocup-nao] SPL Rules, especially Pushing

Stefan Czarnetzki Stefan.Czarnetzki at tu-dortmund.de
Thu May 7 10:37:21 EDT 2009

Hi everyone!

After the German Open and the US Open we all got a good impression what
games will look like this year in Graz, and I think it's safe to say
that there won't be any finals or semifinals without Naos touching the
ball or doing anything useful at all. Nice progress!   :)

Anyway, another point that was interesting to see and to compare was the
application of the rules to the games. On the German Open the rules were
applied to the word and the referees were interfering a lot, especially
concerning the pushing rule; which was absolutely correct and fair.
Besides this, referees were still very worried about the robots and were
running onto the field in lots of situations when a robot were in danger
to fall over.

On the US Open the referees seemed to stay away from the carpet most of
the times and robots were removed only in some rare situations. The
games therefore looked a bit more like Aibo games, just in slow motion.
If robots were close together and touching every once in a while, they
were left alone. If a robot fell down, it was allowed to stand up on its
own without someone running to help. The Nao that was still standing had
its chance to kick during that time without interference.
At least this is my impression from the videos, I haven't been on site
myself.

We had intended to discuss the rules again after the big Opens and I
would like to hear other thoughts, especially about the pushing rule.

In my opinion the Naos are robust enough to survive falling down several
times (as Aldebaran said), and with nice looking games without too many
interventions in mind, I vote to soften the pushing rule.
I acknowledge that it would be much more sophisticated soccer playing if
all robots would smoothly evade each other without collisions (which I
haven't seen so far from any team), but I prefer the US Open style
interpretation to the German Open one, where robots were taken out when
heading straight for the ball but failing to avoid others correctly.

Cheers,
Stefan

--
Dipl.-Inf. Stefan Czarnetzki