[robocup-nao] a few discussion items for Nao

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jul 10 08:31:41 EDT 2008

Hi Michael,

As there are only a few days until RoboCup 2008 I would like to take up
the discussion from May and to continue next week in Suzhou.

I am still convinced that as the size of the Nao and the Humanoid
KidSize robots as well as many related problems are quite similar
there should be much more exchange inbetween the two leagues.
For example, probably many Nao teams now had to reinvent solutions to
basic problems of humanoid locomotion which are already common knowledge
in the Humanoid League.

To foster exchange between leagues it would be helpful to have related
setups and rules which come out of joint discussions how the
two leagues could perhaps support and complement each other
to speed up progress, for example, as close as possible and reasonable:

- field and goal layout,
- rules of play,
- complementing technical challenges,
- game controller /referee box.

I strongly suggest that the techncial committees of Nao
and Humanoid Leagues get together during RoboCup in Suzhou
(perhaps on Saturday) to discuss ways of cooperation and joint progress
for 2009.

See you all next week in Suzhou!

Regards,
Oskar

P.S.
Comments on your remarks to goal shapes:
The humanoid league had discussed the rules for 2008 already
in the team leader meetings in Atlanta and published them in early fall 2007.

The current HL goals are inbetween the massive shapes
of the 2007 HL goals and the less  massive 2007 Aibo goals.
The full Aibo goal shape was not used because of safety reasons.
We were afraid that a humanoid robot will fall over the
low edge of the back wall and be damaged severly and decided to keep
them at an reasonable height.

The current shape of the Nao goals was suggested only months
after the HL rules have been finalized already.
But goals with nets were also not favorized in the previous discussion
because the mesh size would have to be very fine to avoid
that a robot gets tangled in the goal net.

<...>