[robocup-nao] Nao GameController / Rules

Michael Quinlan mquinlan at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 10 00:11:26 EDT 2008

Hi,
  I'm including part of an email that was due to go out today regarding
some rules and game controller.  I'd also like to thank Çetin for
putting a lot of time into the rules discussion/documents even though he
has been experiencing some big Visa problems and might not make it to
China (lets hope he does !!)

 I expect him to release another pdf version of the rules soon , but
this is the summary-
-----
- Goalies are not allowed to lay down (and stay laid for more than 10
seconds?)

- Goalies cannot be called for violating the 50cm rule if they stay
within the own penalty box

- Application of collision avoidance rules to teammates will be left to
the teams. If a team wants to allow their robots to get close, it will
be allowed (I guess it will be hard for referees to remember during the
game whether a team requested that or not )

- If a team has a getup routine, their robots should start executing it
as soon as robot has fallen. If no action is taken within 10 seconds
(maybe even 5 seconds?), zero seconds penalty will be applied and the
robot will be placed at one of the following positions, whichever is
more of a disadvantage:
  * the opposite side of the field with the ball, at the halfway line,
  * 1m away from the ball.
  * same place that the robot has fallen

- We won't have any technical challenges this year

- Gamecontroller will be optional. Same interface
(RoboCupGameControlData.h) with the Aibo division will be used. If a
team does not listen to the gamecontroller, the following interface must
be implemented:
  * Each time the chest button is pressed for 1 seconds switches the
robot to the next
    state, and alternating between penalized and playing when the state
playing is reached

    Initial -> ready -> set -> playing -> penalized -> playing ...

- The current state of the robot should be displayed on the chest led as
follows:
         Initial   : Off
    Ready     : Blue
    Set       : Yellow
    Playing   : Green
    Penalized : Red

- The team color and the kickoff status should be displayed throughout
the game as follows:
  * The left foot led should display the team color (blue/red)
  * The right foot led should display whether a team has kick-off or not
(On/Off)

- The gamecontroller support is optional for this year but the led
interface is mandatory (here, my suggestion is to make the button
interface mandatory too because we may have wireless problems in the
field. In such case we should be able to switch among the states by
interacting with the robot directly)

Thanks,
Michael