[robocup-nao] Final Nao rules for 2008

Stefan Czarnetzki Stefan.Czarnetzki at tu-dortmund.de
Wed Jul 2 14:02:09 EDT 2008

Hi,

I would like to encourage clarification on two issues:

1. The rule concerning fallen robots.
As Dieter said, the rule is not in the file yet and there are still some
questions. To those I would like to add, that a robot should not be able
to get an advantage out of this penalty, i.e. it should never be placed
nearer to the ball than it was when falling down. This might happen if
robots are put in without any time penalty at the halfway line. If the
ball is in front of the opponent goal, a robot falling down in the back
corner of its own half could gain nearly 2 meters without losing much time.
Additionally it should be considered that stand-up motions are indeed
possible. I know of at least three persons having developed such motions
independently. Having these motions would make the game much nicer to
look at and should be an advantage.

Either a moderate time penalty (10-15s) or alternative points for
replacement might be a solution. Since we already have the throw-in
line, we could also use it for placing fallen robots.

2. The player "pushing" rule.
Preventing the robots from entering a 50cm zone around each other might
result in a nicer game without robots lying on the ground all the time
and hopefully also in our Naos surviving a bit longer.
On the other hand this rule gives a robot all the time it wants for
positioning around the ball. Others would not be allowed to come closer,
not even the goalie in its own penaly area. Touching the ball once in a
while prevents global game stuck and achieving a better shooting
orientation might be considered a change substantially enough to prevent
local game stuck, too.
The player pushing rule should be clarified with reference to the local
game stuck rule to prevent such situations.

Best regards,
Stefan