[robocup-msrs] Robot for RoboCup MSRS competition next year

Feng Wu wufeng at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Thu Sep 13 01:04:57 EDT 2007

So far as I know, currently the Aldebaran Robotics' Nao robot like Sony¡¯s AIBO
robot is based on a Linux platform and scripted with Urbi, an easy-to-learn
programming language, with the option of a graphic interface for beginners or code
commands for experts. The MSRS part was developed by a guy named Chris Kilner at
dotnetrobot only for the purpose of video show in Atlanta. The joint of the Nao
robot is simulated by the KUKA arm, not the real physical robot.

The ultimate goal of RoboCup is to have a team of fully autonomous humanoid robot
players, which by 2050 can win a soccer game against the winner of the most recent
World Cup for human players. Each standard league in RoboCup shares the same
dream. To make MSRS a standard league in RoboCup, I think we should discuss the
role of MSRS in RoboCup first, something like making a bridge between the
simulation and the real robot. Then I guess we should argue that RoboCup at MSRS is
also part of the share dream, and would make great contribution to this community.
And maybe a formal proposal is needed like ¡°RoboCup X: A proposal for a new
league where RoboCup goes real world¡± (http://www.ai.rug.nl/~tijn/Articles/RoboCupX.pdf
) for the RoboCup at Home league.

In your mail:
>From: Tandy Trower <tandyt at exchange.microsoft.com>
>To: Feng Wu <wufeng at mail.ustc.edu.cn>, "robocup-msrs at cc.gatech.edu"
<robocup-msrs at cc.gatech.edu>
>Subject: RE: [robocup-msrs] Robot for RoboCup MSRS competition next year
>Date:Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:15:24 -0700
>
>First, with regards to using the Microsoft soccer sim in Robocup 2008, if the
RoboCup organization wishes to use this software in the upcoming event you are
welcome to do that. We continue to provide and support the sim scenario as a
download, so no special permission would be required to incorporate this into your
competition. We freely license this for non-commercial use (and MSRS is also
freely licensed for non-commercial use).

>Since our soccer sim already allows for plugging in different types of robot
players, and since Aldebaran showed a video of what appeared to be a sim model of
their robot running in our sim, we presume they have already may have this
running. If not, we are happy to work with Aldebaran, just as we did last year
with Robosoft to help them integrate their model into our sim soccer framework. In
fact, we have contacted Aldebaran and offered to even help them with getting MSRS
support on their physical robot.

>So the decision whether to include our soccer sim in the 2008 competition is not
ours to make, but for the trustees and RoboCup organizers to decide. We are happy
to offer it for that use and would be happy to work with RoboCup to see it
integrated in as a standard league. We created this to help support RoboCup last
year and welcome its incorporation in this year's event. If integration requires
some work on our part, we are happy to review such a request. That can also
include providing support to help run the competition.